Sign in to follow this  

Loud?

While stopped at a country store enjoying a bite to eat outside with a couple of guys in the mountains this past weekend, a group of bikes came racing around one of the curves(asphalt), there were 2-3 sport bikes and 2-3 supermotards as well. What got me was all of them had aftermarket exhaust but the motards were considerably louder, well atleast a whole lot deeper. I know that this isn't alot of info but if you guys had to guess, what kind of exhaust would you think these motard guys had on their bikes? Thanks guys, oh and I am one of those that thinks loud is better unless of course I am in the woods.

Any aftermarket preformance exhaust is generally gonna be nice and loud. Except quiet aftermarket pipes.

My Big Gun is very very loud. Just the way I like it.

I have a quiet core too but it doesn't see much use. :cry:

If you are still using the stock and havent thrown on an aftermarket exhaust you don't know what your missing. It really really helps tons.

Impossible to say what kind of exhausts were on the thumpers, but it's not surprising that the singles sounded louder. Bigger piston on the thumper then the 4-bangers. They have a lot more low frequency content. A v-twin Ducati or Harley has a lower frequency exhaust (due to lower frequency primary engine orders)then a four banger sport bike. Ever heard a LOUD Harley drive by and you could feel it in your chest? That's because some of the extremely low frequencies in the exhaust line up with the natural frequencies of some of your internal organs and excite them at their resonant frequency. Same reason that riding in a stiffly sprung truck is uncomfortable :cry:

My drz with full yosh is amazingly loud in down town seattle and it pretty much thumps out most other performance bikes exhaust.Only the extreme :cry: exhaust on some harleys and other big v-twins is louder. That is my opinion anyway. And the pisssy looks I get from people on the freeway as I roar past their open window is priceless :cry: :cry: :cry:

The supertrapp on my tengai can hold it's own in volume and performance gain on that engine. Remember that loud does not necessarily mean more performance.

So any aftermarket exhaust should give me what I am looking for. It was music to my ears and did I mention that the thumpers were up front of the pack. Thanks guys for your replies, I think I am going to venture off and try to persuade the wife that I "need" this exhaust. I am thinking the yosh, maybe the big gun. Anyone know where to pick up the best deal?

Just tell the wife that you won't be all sad and pissy for months to come if you get a yosh for christmas right now, oh yeah bribes are good aka earrings, or other shiny little thing to distract her full attention elsewhere :cry: :cry:

I suggest the muzzy exaust. It is quite a bit cheaper than the yosh and has the exact same dimensions as the yosh SS.

Both look great.

I have a Ducati with full aftermarket system and DRZ with full system and my DRZ is WAY LOUDER!!

You dont hear too much about people using the FMF system, but I have the ti-powerbomb header, ti-mid pipe and ti exhaust and love it. I can put the core in it to quiet it down or leave it out to annoy all my neighbors. And it really picked up the performance.

I'm deaf so they are all quiet pipes to me. I'm going Yosh Ti when I have my bike SMed. I know from burned it makes the most hp. I'm not going to worry about noise none the Harleys around me will drown it out. They got straight pipes on every single bike here in town. if it don't have them on it's because they are on back order. hahaha! Got to give my hog bro their snaps they ride loud and nobody does a dang thing about it. prairiedawg :cry:

Loud has never been a problem for me on the street...since as Prairie pointed out...Harleys run with open pipes regularly. It seems people are use to loud bikes on the street.

The problem is they don't like to have their ears bleed when they are communing with nature and are trying to listen to the soft breeze from a butterfly's wings.

Therefore I will install the quiet core into my big gun for an upcoming tour through the Mark Twain National forests soon...but will re-install my race core upon returning home.

My Big Gun is louder then any other I have heard. I like the technology and the ceramic coated pipes. There is a performance advantage to the coating. It is all about heat control of the exhaust.

The Yosh on the bike down the street purrs compared to my Gun. I also out ride him by a mile...but to be fair...that is probably a testimate to my courage and his lack of it as much as the power output of his bike.

Plus I can't even talk him into the 3x3 and rejet. Basically he is scared now and won't admit it. (Got banged up good once.) He does not want any more power.