Sign in to follow this  

Won't start.

Talk about a pisser…Took the CRF out for a trail ride today, about 100mi from the house. I started it before loading it up & everything was fine, unloaded about 2 hours later. Again, started easily (3-4 kicks) so I let it idle while I put the rest of my gear on…during this time it died. Thought nothing of it (cold engine & all).

Would not re-start. Choke, no-choke, laid on it’s side til gas ran out (used this all the time on 2-strokes). After maybe 100 kicks it sputtered to life, ran it around the parking lot once, died again. Never started again.

Always been a reliable started, even after sitting a couple weeks. This was to be the first real ride after adding a flywheel weight. I ran it up & down the street a few times after install with no apparent problems. Looks to be getting fuel, haven't checks spark yet(got tired of messing with it)…any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

This was to be the first real ride after adding a flywheel weight

There was a thread a while back about a known problem with one of the flywheel weights. Try using the TT Search button to find those old threads. Whoever was making the defective flywheel weights was replacing them for free.

If it's a steahly fww did you make sure to clearance the the ignition cover, if you didn't it will rub and throw aluminum shavings all over the place. Hell! I am not sure if you can even get the cover back on it you don't make clearance for the steahly!

My next suggestion would be to check valve clearance! My bike has started first couple of kicks everytime since it was new and on my last ride i started having problems with getting it to start, i know the valves are out of spec. now i just need to find time to work on them :cry:

Thanks guys,

I plan to pull the cover this evening...you're scaring me with the valve talk (1st four stroke).

The FWW is a zip-ty, just a weight mounted on the stocker. Install instructions showed a couple ribs to be trimmed & a thicker gasket for spacing. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions right but who knows.

Something I forgot to mention. It would occasionally start for about one to two seconds then die. On the yesterdays short ride it obviously didn't want to idle. Change any opinions?

Will check everything I can think of tonight and let you know what, if anything, I find.

Thanks again.

Dirty carb is what it sounds like. Regarding the valves, dont be too scared there is a lot of people here to help. Take digital pictures if you are nervous. Makes reassembly easy if you get confused. You do know if you end up with "extras" after working on it, it will be lighter! :cry:

I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was a dirty carb. Check the valves anyway since you have to take the tank and everything off to get to the carb anyway. Then clean the carb.

If cleaning the carb doesnt solve your problems, swap the flywheel back out to the stocker. If it runs then, youve found your problem. Sometimes when they weld on the flywheels they loose they're magnetics... :cry:

LOL,

Hondas are blue...aren't they?

Probably wouldn't have happened if I had just left it alone, I'm sure it's a direct result of my screwing with the flywheel.

Quick update.

Sheared key.

Runnin' great.

Thank you.

I'm a dumb mecahnic here...what is a 'Sheared key'?