Sign in to follow this  

Cutting filter open on first oil change...

I put a 33oz flywheel on tonight after doing 3 hours on the motor. Also changed the oil and filter.

I was surprised when I cut the filter open. It really had alot of shavings. They were uniformly small....like slivers. I'm not freaking or overly worried, but I didn't cut the filter on the 04's first change.

It seemed like alot, but it feels/sounds good.

Put in a new filter and 24oz of 10/40 GN4.

I'll be curious to cut the next one!

Next change put in HP4M in the engine and HP4 Engine oil in the tranny of HP trans oil :cry:

GN4 is okay i guess but HP4M with moly (silver bottle) is essentialy designed for use in the CRF engine :nworthy

Book says NO molybdenum or to use GN4 or HP4 without M. Whats the diff between HP4 and GN4. Wonder why no slickem recommended in the crankcase.

I have cut open and examined the first few filters on my 03 450 and 05 250. Both bikes had viewable shavings the first filter. The 450 had none viewable the second on. I havent chamged the 250 yet. I believe it is real important to change oils right after the first ride to get those breakin shavings out of the system. What is also interesting is to drain the tranny oil then look for metal shavings. They are in there too.

Ya get the 7 filters for $20. I do the same thing. As for oil switch to Mobil 1. I switched my tranny oil to Valvoline Durablend. It seems to be better. I asked on here about Mobil 1 you can get a 5qt jug at Wal-Mart for $20. If you do a lot of reading on it like I have done you will see it is not only good enough, but probably better. The film strength is better.

Just cut open my second filter.

The difference is night & day.

I can't find any flakes this time.

Be SURE to change that filter with your first oil change! After the first few changes, I'll go back to every other oil change.

After the fourth change, I found nothing in the filter at all, so I just put a stainless screen in there and I checked it once, still clean...I dont even bother too look any more... :cry: