Sign in to follow this  

Newbie XR400 owner needs opinions on updates

I did end up with a 2002 XR 400 that has only been ridden 1 season. It is all stock and I do have a few modifications I want to do.

First is Gordon Mods. Does anyone out there use the K&N air filter instead of the UNI filter? I have always used them

in the past.

Second is suggestions on lowering links. I am 5' 10" and 195 lbs, and I need it lower to feel comfortable on hills.

I am sure I will have many more questions if the next few weeks.

thanks

I have a K&N and experienced a noticeable difference over a stock filter. There are two filters available, the made for XR400 and a high flow model that really is an XR600 filter but K&N lists it also for the 400.

At 5'10" you should feel comfortable with the bike at stock hight once you get used to riding it. I am 5"6" and have not lowered my bike and only have trouble with the hight of the bike now and then. I like the full travel in the suspension when I need it. XRs are a little soft on the suspension side and you will need the extra travel from time to time. I like the seat on the XRs and would never tamper with it, it is cush. The Garden mods and bore it when it gets a little age on it and you will really wake that sucker up.