Sign in to follow this  

Highway / Freeway WR250 or DRZ400E.

I’ll need to ride some good distances on the highway and don’t want a 300+ lb piece of farm machinery. The DRZ400S is 300lb and prices seem solid. Torn between the WR250 & DRZ400E. ‘03-04 models are locally available with softer prices.

Looking thru the Dyno curves from FMF and assuming I can bring the WR up to YZ numbers pretty easily, the WR will put out @28HP at 8000rpm, the DR400 about the same at 6500rpm. Are these reasonable RPM’s to shoot for at 70mph. Swap out fwd sprocket for off road?

My old DR250S would do the freeway, but at 70mph, there was nothing left.

Great forum! Tons of info! Ya’ll kick ass!

You'd need to run 15/42 on a DRZ400E to turn 6500 @ 71mph.

Stock 14/47 gearing gives you about 7800 rpm at 71mph and is much more trail friendly gearing. You can get awfully close to 100mph with stock gearing.

You'll run out of steam way before that on a 250F. Just a power thing.

FMF Exhaust Dyno charts - Two pipes are presented with two very different curves for "Stock DRZ400". Which one is closer to reality? 34 HP at 8000 RPM or 40 HP at 8200. FMF shows the XR650 making 45 HP and the WR250 at 34HP? Even tho FMF is making the WR look really good, hats off to WROOSTER and the boys over in "blue land". They have been real straight up and have done a great job supporting the DRZ. The pricing on the DRZ's masquerading in green looks real attractive!!

:cry:

If it were me, I wouldn't want to ride on the highway with 8000 to 10000 rpm buzz. More displacement = more better and yes, Green ones are cool too. :cry: