Sign in to follow this  

Highway / Freeway WR250 or DRZ400E.

I’ll need to ride some good distances on the highway and don’t want a 300+ lb piece of farm machinery. The DRZ400S is 300lb and prices seem solid. Torn between the WR250 & DRZ400E. ‘03-04 models are locally available with softer prices.

Looking thru the Dyno curves from FMF and assuming I can bring the WR up to YZ numbers pretty easily, the WR will put out @28HP at 8000rpm, the DR400 about the same at 6500rpm. Are these reasonable RPM’s to shoot for at 70mph. Swap out fwd sprocket for off road?

My old DR250S would do the freeway, but at 70mph, there was nothing left.

Great forum! Tons of info! Ya’ll kick ass!

having spent roughly a hundred miles at or above 50MPH on pavement while riding my '01 WRF at various dual-sport and enduro events, i would opine that if you plan on lots of road miles you should go for the DRZ400. the WRF is a very "buzzy" road bike and while it excels on the trails it is a poor commuting bike. think of it as a MX bike with some road accoutrements -- that doesn't make it a good road bike. either of the DRZ400 models would make a better road warrior but you are going to feel the weight on the trails.

my friend john on his DRZ ready to leave camp at the 2004 six days of michigan:

IMG_1425_sm.jpg

same trip, different camp, me on my WRF:

IMG_1140_sm.jpg

ps

john is quite a good rider and on the trails is as fast if not faster than me, even on that full street kit DRZ. which, by the way, is the same DRZ he rides to work most every morning on his commute from northern NJ into manhattan NYC.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I own both and if highway is more important than tight woods; beef for stability over lightness for tree trimming and solid suspension for jumping then go Drz.

WR 250F is a poor choice for any length of road work. Second and third gear woods trails: excellent!

:cry:

i wouldn't get either

the wr250 goes alot faster than any speed limit with stock gearing so will the the dr-z but i think suzukies are very poorly made.

my pic would be an XR650 liqid cooled these things have been knowen to run to 70,000kms with no problems and they go alot harder than a wr or DR-z

but i think suzukies are very poorly made

Umm, I think your brain is poorly made...

Within only a couple years the DRZs have just about equaled Honda's reliability recognition... With only a few minor flaws and virtually no engine or other component failures.

I just don't know where you're getting that they're poorly made!

Not to flame, but I think you're NUTZ! :cry:

In response to the original post, I loved my DRZ, it was just a little too heavy for me. I miss the power, especially the low end. It's a great all around bike.

The XR650 felt way more top heavy, and the suspension... it felt like the bike was GLUED to the ground and spongy, even though it weighs roughly the same as my 400e.

Hope it helps... :cry:

Hey Guys- Posted this on DRZ400 Forum...No response. Any input? I feel a lowball coming on soon. Blue? Yellow? or Green?

FMF Exhaust Dyno charts - Two pipes are presented with two very different curves for "Stock DRZ400". Which one is closer to reality? 34 HP at 8000 RPM or 40 HP at 8200. FMF shows the XR650 making 45 HP and the WR250 at 34HP? Even tho FMF is making the WR look really good, hats off to WROOSTER and the boys over in "blue land". They have been real straight up and have done a great job supporting the DRZ. The pricing on the DRZ's masquerading in green looks real attractive!!

I agree with you, my buddy has had one all summer and has had no problems with it. I cant see any places where the build quality is below average. Plus we in WR ville hear only wish our WR was so smooth on road!

Tough call. I'd say stick with the DRZ if you're mainly doing freeway stuff, it's still a lot of fun in the dirt...

The WR is a little funner in the dirt, but I can't imagine riding it on the freeway. IMO... :cry:

The WR is a little funner in the dirt, but I can't imagine riding it on the freeway. IMO...

what, like over the 5 mile long Mackinac bridge in Michigan?

IMG_1300_sm.jpg

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps

it was the closest i've ever come to soiling my riding shorts.

I test rode a new 04 WR450F in full motard trim. That would be the bike id be goin for. The 250f is totally totally the wrong bike. The DRZ lacks grunt but is reliable as the days are long in an antartic summer. Id be goin a 450F in motard or a KTM525 motard. These have to be the best fun you can have on two wheels.

bad pic looks like me and my friend on our 525's full gear and riding down the street it is so cool you get some of the strangest look from people