How DO i get my stock water pump impeller off?

i just bought a boysen hi flow water pump kit for my 250r and now that i get around to installing it im running into some problems. i cant get the impeller off :cry:. one person i talked to told me i needed to take my case off and hold the other end of the shaft! if it is really that dificult i dont think i want to do it. please help

pete

Put the bike in gear and step on the brake.

i tried this and i couldnt get it to work. mabe i was doing it wrong but thanks for the help. i do have and impact gun and i will also try that. thanks guys.

Mine is.

Doh! You're right. :cry:

Why is the 250 left hand threads and the 450 right hand?

Do the 450 and 250 impellars spin in the opposite directions? :cry: If so, then that would explain the difference in threads.

:cry:

so you guys are totally positive it is reverse threaded. i dont want the use the impact gun goin the wrong way.

Yes, the 250F impeller nut is reverse threaded. The impeller shaft is driven off the balancer shaft instead of the crankshaft, so it rotates clockwise (as viewed from the right side of the bike), hence the reverse threaded nut.

Not sure if the 450 is set up the same way. It may be driven off the crankshaft, like a 2 stroke.

If you are going to use an impact gun, I suggest a small, 1/4" or 3/8" drive one with the air regulated down pretty low.

Its reverse. Theres a curved arrow etched into the pump that shows you which way to loosen it. Plus I just removed mine last week. Trust me. :cry:

Not sure if the 450 is set up the same way. It may be driven off the crankshaft, like a 2 stroke.

the 450 i the opposite of the 250. my buddy just took his apart and told me that it does run off the crankshaft.

At first I was having trouble on my 06 crf250r and it was indeed reverse threaded when installing the new Boyesen Supercooler. But now after installing, my kick starting crank get stuck at the bottom position when trying to fire up the bike. Please help

If the kickstart lever operated correctly before the tear down, then you likely re-assembled the mechanism improperly.

Just remove the RH side cover and have a look inside, maybe just the return spring that's un-hooked.

Edited by mlatour