Sign in to follow this  

would your bike run if you put the cams in at TDC of exhaust stroke?

ok, this may sound like a strange question, but.. you know how when you're checking your valves, you turn the motor until the "I" in "HI" lines up.. however that same "I" comes around twice, once on the compression stroke, once on the exhaust (I believe).

what would be the effect if you went through all the proper cam installation procedures, but starting at the "wrong I"? :cry: would the bike even run?

thanks, this info would really help

yes.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps

there is no "exhaust stroke" until you place the cams. the spark plug fires at *every* TDC, whether it's the compression stroke or exhaust stroke.

At the risk of being redundant, it is placing the cams in the engine that determines which is the exhaust stroke (and the other three). Until that's been done, there is no difference between one TDC and another.

The condition you're thinking of, having the ignition 180 degrees out of sync with the cams is possible only on engines that drive the ignition trigger off of the camshaft, and then only if there are two possible ways to install it (which is common, actually). You see this in cars quite often, but it can't happen to a YZF.

:cry: yes, that makes perfect sense, thank you. I knew it was a "dumb question" that I would probably later regret, but my brain hit a wall and I needed help getting over it! :cry:

thanks very much Wrooster and everyone else, I checked my valves again last night, only the middle intake was tight, so I adjusted it. Everything went really smooth! I may actually be getting OK at this stuff!