Sign in to follow this  

9 ft. lb. = broken bolt

Silly me. I was torque-in' the long oil filter cover bolt to the factory spec when "SNAP". At least the broken bolt came out easy. But now I'm waiting for an ignition cover gasket to complete the oil change.

I feel so stupid. I just had to try the torque wrench instead of the old T-handle I've used ten times before.

You just can't trust a torque wrench at that low of a number, even if it is a $250 Snap-on.

your not the only one. there has been many posts on this. i for one know mine is gone but i must have stopped short of breaking it off. hopefully it will come out before it snaps. next oil change will find out for sure.

i've read a few peoples post that they put in a bolt from other sources but have not heard where they got them from. i'll probably just do a search on line for some quality bolts.

glad you got it out though.

doug

For torque less than about 20 ft lbs (240 inch pounds), you need to use a quality inch-pound torque wrench, otherwise there is no accuracy of the wrench.

Also as I mentioned in this post OIL ON THREADS POST you will need to lower the torque value, that is listed in the manual, by about 15-20% if there is oil on the treads.

The torque values listed in the owners and shop manulas are always for dry threads.

The Honda CRF 250X manual states specifically to oil the threads on the cylinder head nuts before torqueing them. (Page 51, paragraph 2) "I don't make 'em up, I just report 'em".

The Honda CRF 250X manual states specifically to oil the threads on the cylinder head nuts before torqueing them. (Page 51, paragraph 2) "I don't make 'em up, I just report 'em".

To clarify then, unless specifically specified, the Honda torque values are always for clean dry threads without oil (as stated above).

Unless you're using a 1/4" inch/lb torque wrench it doesnt surprise me you snapped it. One guy a while back said he snapped that same bolt using a 1/2 wrench...well no crap :cry: I always use a 1/4" snap-on and have never snapped/stripped any of those small bolts.