Sign in to follow this  

Owner's manual v. Service manual

Are these two different publications?

Does an OWNER"S manual have break downs (diagrams & procedures) for more involved maintanence i.e. jetting changes or is more about basic specs. and general riding guidelines, i.e. fuel capacity?

Yep, the owner's manual will only tell you where the clutch is, how much oil it holds, etc. The service manual is what you need if you want to work on your own bike - it's worth every penny.

Yup...service manual is pretty much required equipment if you plan on doing any work yourself. The drz manual is decent, not the greatest but it works and is worth a few bucks in the long run. I believe there were some posts in the past that showed the Kawasaki version of the manual was significantly cheaper. :cry:

The only difference between the kawasaki version and the suzuki one is the addition of twenty pages or so of kawasaki stuff and then there is a page that says drz400 in big letters and from there on out it is all suzuki. That and you can order directly from their website and save about $40 over what your suzuki dealer will charge you. If anyone chooses to do this route and has problems finding it pm me and I'll walk you to it, it can not be linked directly to.

drz400s = klx400sr = klx400a

drz400e = klx400r = klx400b

The s/sr/a version is more expensive, why I'm not really sure but it is.

It used to be that repairmanuals.com had a better price on the s/sr but not any more. They are way higher now so kawasaki has the best prices by far.

anyone know which klx model manual would work for a 2004 dr-z s model? the kawasaki site has manual for klx400a & klx400b? any difference. i think the price was different.

You need the 'a'. Ron Ayers has the Suzi brand manual for about the same cost as the Kaw site when last I checked.

As an example, Kawasaki KLX400R manual $46:canada:, DRZ400E manual $110:canada:.

10Guy's description is dead on - the Kawasaki version IS the Suzuki manual with a few added pages and different cover.

Thank you Mr. Kawasaki. :cry:

I guess people who design websites never use them. I finally found the Kawasaki manual. You have to go to Kawasaki.com, get to motorcycles, click vehicle info where a menu comes up to order manuals and go from there. It shows it is $36.95

Item Number Description Price

99924-1300-01 Service Manual KLX400A 36.95

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=0 This probably won't work but I'll give it a try.

just checked out ronayers. they only show manual up to 2001. i have a 2004 s model. is the 2001 manual the most current manual or is there a newer one? i e-mailed them same question, but figured i'd ask here too. thanks, steve

Checking the Kawi site

B manual

it list the "B" manual for $24.95 (E Model)

Same thing?

Is the "Parts Manual" basically Fiche?

Plus, it doesn't look like a KLX 400 R existed in 2000?

Everytime I have check ron ayers for others they have and continue to be more money. I just checked again and they are still more expensive.

Kawasaki has always made an effort to make their service manuals affordable, or reasonably so. That has been my experience in the last twenty years. They do a much better job than any of the other three japanese brands.

parts manual = micro fisch

can't link directly to the page

drz400e = klx400r = klx400b

drz400s = klx400sr= klx400a

Any owners manual you order will be current, not many changes have been made and none important except for the S and it's new suspension in 02.