Sign in to follow this  

Dirt wheels for DR-Z 400 SM

It's been years since I've owned a bike and I figured it's time to get back into it. The DR-Z 400 S looked to fit the bill perfectly until I saw that new SM ! :cry: Already put down a deposit for the first black one that comes in :cry:. Hopefully with a tire swap I can ride the trails too. Give me your opinions on this please: To save a few $$, do you think a simple tire change will work on the rear?, and what about the front- if I found a whole new front wheel/tire combo from a DRZ 400S, do you think I could still use the SM rotor? I searched the Parts For Sale but it seems the stock DRZ 400 S wheels are kind of scarce. Otherwise how does this plan sound?

what is SM I am kinda slooowww and don't get it. The drz is the perfect urban assault vehicle mixed with mountian goat then just for laughs suzuki made it capable of 100mph what more could we ask except for the to wiegh in at 50lbs. :cry: :cry: :cry:

exactly what bronco said. it wont be as easy as we think im affraid since suzuki elected to put usd forks on the SM. The caliper bracket is probobly cast into the fork lower. I dont know that just a tire swap will work on the rear, 17"s front and rear. Youd be hard pressed to find a good off road tire tread pattern in a wide 17. i think, never looked

I know of a few gixxer guys who'd put a set of 17" knobbies on their bikes... :cry:

Someone needs to make one. :cry:

I ran Avon Distanzas on one of my bikes 120 and 150-17, and they are awesome. Good tread for gravel roads and easy DRY trail riding. They also work really well on the tarmac and wear forever. I'd guess you could get an easy 5-6,000 miles on a front and probably 4-5000 on a rear. NOT a knobbie, but HUGH difference than the deathwings. If I bought a DRZ-ZM, I would put them on first thing, that is how much I liked them.

Hmm well then I wonder if I should go ahead with the purchase and chance it that a wheel swap to knobbies will be figured out eventually with that new USD fork, or just buy a regular DRZ400S instead. 'Cuz I can always ride knobbies on the street but not road tires on the trail. (However thanks for that last post about the Avon tires.) To be honest, I haven't done ANY riding in years and I'll probably mostly commute to work and street-ride, realistically only about 10% dirt. BUT, definitely do want to hit some northern Michigan trails with it. (Oooh but that black SM looks so cool!) Decisions, decisions. Given that info which bike would you guys pick? :cry:

I would not expect to find knobbies for the SM wheels...nor do I think that would be a good way to go for trail riding. However...since the USD forks are sourced from the RM...I would suspect either a DRZ or RM wheel would fit it. Same could be expected of the RM sourced rear suspension.

This is all merely open speculation mind you.

My thoughts. :cry:

Hey Paul_E,

I was thinking of doing the same thing as you. I love the looks of the black DRZ400SM and the lower seat height would really help me out. I've ridden my friends DRZ400S and it's to tall for me in the trails.

Anyway, I've been researching and found some offroad tires a hope will fit the 17" wheels.

Front tire: Maxxis M7304 100/70-17 or AVON AM43 Distanzia 120/70-17.

Rear tire: Maxxis M7305 100/100-17 or Avon AM43 Distanzia 140/80-17.

denniskirk sells the Maxxis

copy/paste the link below for Avon

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=DualSport&SubCat=17

Let me know what you think. I'd really like to use the SM off road. Just have to watch hitting the big front brake disc on rocks. But theres no rocks where I ride in FLA.

From what I could see of the forks the caliper mount looks like it's cast in with the larger rotor in mind. If they use an adapter on motocross USD forks then you may be able to fit the smaller off road rotors by swapping mount adapters. But if they are using road bike lowers then I think you're out of luck for doing a swap. Far better to get a Z-E and motard that with a caliper adapter to fit the larger rotor.

That is all well and good...but those ain't knobbies. You don't want a shorter wheel in rocky trails. Instead of bounding over a rock ledge...you may in fact get wedged under and flipped. That is why they run the taller wheels off road...to roll over obstacles.

Converting a SM to dirt may not be too bad. If the caliper mount is simply higher on the fork...and offset adapter could be created to move it down.

The literature says the suspension is sourced from an RM. I assume that means it is interchangeable? I dunno.

Again...this is all merely speculation. We will have to see.

100 to 1 says it uses a standard DRZ hub which is the same as an RM hub except for the spedo tabs.

That means all you will need is an RM or DRZ 21" front wheel and an extra rotor the same size as the DRZ SM. Or just swap the rotor over to the other wheel.

Why redesign the front hub and fork wheel clamps etc?

So most likely RM triple clamp + RM forks + DRZ hub + Caliper bracket = DRZ SM front end :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the response. The link below is the Maxxis tire which should fit the rear 17" wheel. Where I ride in Florida there are no rocks I would just have to be careful going over logs and such but it's better then not being able to touch the ground on the DRZ400S. The Avon tire may work for me for street and trail.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=651270&store=Main&productId=p651270&catId=1&leafCatId=10806

If the SM is using RM forks, you should be able to get a set of RM castings for the lower end of the forks. You could keep a front wheel on its axle, bolted into the castings with a different caliper, brake line and MC/lever. When you want to switch to the dirt wheels, unbolt the whole casting from the fork leg and slide it off the bottom. Slide on the whole dirt assembly and bolt on. Swap the MC and the front is changed. :cry:

I wouldn't try to find a 17" knobbly for the rear SM rim - get an entire 18" rear wheel with the knobbly fitted and swap the whole wheel.

Ian

Not that your idea about the RM castings wouldn't work... But I don't think you can buy those seperate. They come with the lower fork tubes.

Removing them would probably be more complicated too...

Keeping the brake setup the same may work ok offroad anyways? :cry: