Sign in to follow this  

Riding Taneum 10/16/04 - with Pictures

Well I know some of you are already heading to Taneum. I just got off the phone with Jay my old riding partner and he is going to Taneum also.

So I will be in Taneum at 9:00 or 9:30 Saturday. I have my map out now and am starting to plan several different loops. I have in mind

planning one loop with every hard trail Taneum has to throw at you. I doubt I will get to ride that loop but I will plan it on the map. Then I

will plan several different loops less challenging but not just a picnic. Then maybe we can get a vote or if we have enough people break off into

different groups.

First lets find out who is interested and what kind of mileage the majority would like to put in. Then we can talk about difficulty. It should be fun.

:cry: :cry:

So how many are going to be in Taneum this Saturday? :cry:

UGH! I've got some friends coming over from Redmond that want to do the Sasse Mtn - Corral Creek area on the 16th.

Corral Creek is very difficult and the only time I've tried it I crashed about 20 feet from the top... so I want to go back and conquer it.

Have fun in the Taneum. I wish I could ride with you. :cry:

Ron Dunn Jr

Good luck at Corral creek. I was just there on Sat and had to push my bike up that last little bit cause there was too little traction. Pretty easy untill that last steep section. Then I rode up the West fork Teanaway trail on Wed. What a day for riding that was. :cry:

I have in mind planning one loop with every hard trail Taneum has to throw at you.

Sounds like my kinda ride! Have fun guys. Hopefully I'll be back on the trails soon. Then we can get you East siders over here.

Jeremy

Ok here is who we got so far, (if we all show up):

Me - (Old_Man_Time) XR650R, 525EXC, KX500

Jay - XR650R

Chipstien - YZ426

Huskerdu - WR250

Sharla - (Firecracker) 200EXC

Troy - KTM? (Duster on KTMTALK)and maybe a friend

This "Taneum" are that you are talking about. How far is it from Yakima Washington? Trying to figure out how long of a drive it will be for me. Thanks in advance! :cry:

Short! Just head up to I90, go west, take the Thorp exit (First exit after Ellensburg), turn left at the end of the ramp, cross the freeway, turn right on Thorp Cemetery Road, follow that for quite a while--you'll pass a cattle grate, then it will turn to a paved FS road. Stay to the right where it Ys off. Take the next left to cross a little bridge, and then the entrance to the Taneum Junction campground will be down on your left. Follow it through the trees into the big open gravel area.

Look for us--I drive a red Toyota 4x4, and OMT drives a red Toyota 2 wheel drive. Not sure what other rigs to look for.

Anyway, should take you a little over an hour; it's probably 30 minutes out of Ellensburg, and it usually takes me 35-40 minutes to get to Yak from E-burg.

Thanks for the info. I won't be there, I just wanted to know for the future. BTW: I live over in Walla Walla so that would be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for me. I know where your talking about though, I use to live in Ellensburg years ago and rode up that area. Ever heard of "Green Canyon"? For some reason that sticks out in my head??? :cry: Thanks again! :cry:

Hey Top, for future reference you would be better off heading up 410 out of Yakima and hitting the south side of Taneum, (Naches). Prolly alot closer then the north side. BTW, I am there for sure. Picked up my new tire today, just need to do the swap later tonight. I will be in a Big Red Dodge Cummins wth 35's and a 3 rail trailer. Hard to miss the rattle of a real motor. :cry:

BTW, Looking at my trusty ole Green Trails Map, looks like the easiest way for us Westerners would be to get off 90 at the first Cle Elum exit, (Exit 84) and head up FR 3350. Turn right on RD 119 to 133 to Taneum Junction. Seems a along ways for the Westerners to go all the way to Thorp then backtrack to Taneum Junction :cry:. Am I correct?

BTW, Looking at my trusty ole Green Trails Map, looks like the easiest way for us Westerners would be to get off 90 at the first Cle Elum exit, (Exit 84) and head up FR 3350. Turn right on RD 119 to 133 to Taneum Junction. Seems a along ways for the Westerners to go all the way to Thorp then backtrack to Taneum Junction :cry:. Am I correct?

While the mileage may be shorter, it's not going to save you any time. The speed on the freeway is 70 so you aren't driving more than a few mins past Cle Elum, and the forrest service road you take to backtrack towards Cle Elum is paved. The dirt roads aren't nearly as smooth! I tried taking the dirt roads once.... Only once. :cry:

Jeremy

i'm in - new throttle cable installed - road tested on the liberal streets of capital hill.

i agree with jeremy - i've accessed taneum via 2 different approaches through cle elum. if you aren't staging at taneum junction, the cle elum approach is actually pretty good (one of them).

Is the Thorp exit number 93 or 106? And 70 on the freeway.......... you mean you don't hit 70 on the gravel roads? :cry:

exit 93, left at stop sign, right at stop sign, after paralleling the freeway for a while, turn right onto the taneum road (might be 2 quick rights there), drive past icewater CG and start looking for left turns into the junction (don't take the left to quartz mountain - go a little farther).

You'll take exit 93. Turn left and head over the freeway. Take a right at the next stop singn, and parallel the freeway on the north side passing a fruit stand. Go probably a couple miles, then you'll wind down towards the freeway again, and come to a stop sign. Take a right and cross back over the freeway. Take a right at the "T" to head back towards Cle Elum on the south side of the freeway. Just after you make the right you'll cross the cattle grate. Follow this road for about 20 mins. You'll pass Taneum CG, then Icewater CG. Keep following the road until the end of the pavement. There will be a left turn across a bridge. Take it. If you miss it, you'll immediatly hit gravel, and start going uphill. Once you cross the bridge, fork off to the left instead of going up the hill. Follow that back until it opens up. We usually park at the front of the area near the restrooms, or directly across from then on your left as you come in.

Jeremy