Sign in to follow this  

Steering stem adj. nut = 51 ft/lbs??? Can that be right?

I was going through the whole bike last night, greasing and adjusting everything. When I got to torquing the steering stem adjusting nut, my service manual said 51 ft/lbs!!! That seems WAY too much to me. Is this accurate, or a misprint? I realize that the top nut that holds on the top clamp requires 84 ft/lbs, and I understand why. But I am referring to the adjuster nut below it that puts tension on the head bearings. I would think more like 51 INCH/lbs would be close. Oh, and where is a good place to buy/borrow the special socket I need to torque the adjuster nut???

Edit...I found a really old post that suggests the spec is actually 5.1 ft/lbs. THAT, I can believe. My manual sure didn't have that period there, though. Does 5.1 sound accurate?

I think it must be wrong as well. If you torqued the steering stem nut to 51 ft/lbs, I guarantee you the whole assembly would bind and not turn for beans. I torque mine just before the steering begins to bind, which is at about 16 ft/lbs. Anything greater than that, and the steering sticks. I can't understand how the manual comes up with that inflated figure.

5,1 ft/lbs is the correct for 2004 and for 2002 just checked both manuals.

I normally don't use a torque wrench, just tighten so there is no free play in the bearing and that they don't stick.