Sign in to follow this  

Water pump impeller shaft failure

Before buying my KLR 650 I researched the hell out of it (known weak links etc.) but found no mention of what just struck mine. The water pump impeller shaft snapped off at the impeller itself. Am I the only one in the world to have seen this? I love this bike, bought it for a trip down the continental divide and it never missed a beat, despite severe clutch abuse beyond belief in some very difficult sections.

Yup. They break right where the threads meet the shaft. The threaded end seems to be

pretty soft. I repaired one in the shop a couple of months ago. Drilled and tapped the

shaft and put a hardened stud in it. :cry:

Is this impeller problem only a KLX650 issue or does this exist on the KLX250/300R line as well?

Thanks!

wldrdr

Ah, interesting! I was going to tackle the job myself, but I was disuaded by the factory micro-fische that showed the impeller shaft being sold with the mating and larger internal jack shaft, plus another website warned of it being "expensive" to replace if the shaft is broken during pump seal replacement. I had visions of special tools being required so I wimped out and booked it into a local dealer figuring I might be opening a can of worms doing it myself, but even the guy at the dealership said he thinks it may be just a matter of replacing the outboard shaft rather than both. If it happens again I'll remember your fix and do the same.

Thanks

i know this is a long time from when you all posted but i got a 87 klr 650 with the same problem im just wondering how the drilling and hardend bolt thing worked out