Sign in to follow this  

Thumbs up for the XR250L

I bought a '93 XR250L in '02 (from a retired man) with only 725 miles on it for $1650. This would have to be the best all around bike I've owned. It's not a fast bike but you can go fairly fast on it. My modifications include: removing short springs in forks and replacing them with 3/4 pvc pipe, going up one size on main jet, removing the large tail light and replacing it with a small enduro type, adding a skid plate, shortening the bars to 29.5" and adding aluminum handguards, Clarke 4.2 gal. tank, removed turn signals, and changed gearing to 12/43. It still has 100% stock intake and exhaust. I have gone on a lot of trail rides with some pretty fast company without any problems staying up. In fact I usually run up toward the front of the group. We ride enduro trails, four-wheeler and forest roads. I'm always on the "slowest" bike in the group of KTM's and Gas Gas motorcycles. One thing I've noticed riding with the 450's and 520/525's is that most of their power goes up in wheel spin while I'm hooking up. On rough, rocky, gullied, first or second gear hillclimbs, it will hang with any of them. I was riding with a friend who was on his Gas Gas EC250 on some enduro trails the other day, when he took off with a burst of speed trying to leave me behind in one of the trail sections. He got off to about a 75yd. head start on me in this 3 mile section. I had to push really hard but I did catch him before the end of the section. The first thing he said was "I don't see how in the world you caught up with me on that bike!" It could be because he's "only" been riding 15 yrs. and I've been riding for 36. Another friend has a XR250R with a Ederbrock carb and performance exhaust insert and I was able to beat him in 4 out of 5 drag races. I have discovered a weak point though. Short engine life. I had to replace the cam and four rockers at 2600 miles and rings at 4400 miles. That may be because of the wet sump engine running very hot and only holding 1.5 quarts of oil. I wouldn't recommend this bike to a tall or heavy person though. I'm 5'8,155lb. and it works great for my size and weight. Also I like for the rear a Dunlop 756 and front a Dunlop 755.

I had one of these too.....you're right about the hot oil problem. I did all the engine mods possible, bore, cam, porting, flatslide, XR header pipe (larger dia), muffler, and barnett clutch. This thing literally screamed but needed rings about every 3000 miles. Seems you just can't run morning to night at 8000 rpm and have a long life as well. Oil was a real problem. The best combination I found was one quart of Mobil One, and one quart of Honda Synthetic Blend (HP I think) for the clutch and gear additives. This was the only stuff that drained out of the crankcase without smelling burnt. Next best mod was having the suspension done by Fineline.

Dave

To add a funny side note on old Honda's... I ride a 2003 KTM 625 and my Brother rides a 2002 XR400. We both consider ourselfs pretty good riders(37 & 39yrs old been riding since we were kids). We picked up a 1977 XL100 Honda out of the trash and got it running and keep it around for a beater bike. The ol' XL has a bald knobby on the back and dry rottet original enduro tire on the front. It smokes so bad there isn't a misquito in site when ya ride it. ANYHOW>>>> We were camping in Pa. with a group of friends and it was kinda muddy and we were riding badly rutted logging trails. Our leader was on a Polaris 4X4 and climbed this BAD-MO-FO hill pretty easily. My brother was next on his XR400 and ended up in the woods on his side when he shot off the trail. After a few minutes of tuggin' and luggin' he was at the top. I was next on the KTM...3 tries and I had it to the top totally out of wind and energy. Here comes ol' John next on this clapped out XL100 and John's only ridden a handfull of times and never on a serious bike. In fact due to the fact that he's a snowmobile rider he refuses to stand up while riding a bike :cry: Well we were all amazed to watch him ride all the way to the top without stopping or even so much as spinning a tire :cry:

The 250L is missing the oil cooler found on the R model as well. I believe the side cover can be drilled and tapped for it, but if not clutch covers show up on ebay every so often. I dont know if the mounting brackets come on the frame though :cry:. If they do it would be an easy mod to drop the oil temps some.

The 250L is missing the oil cooler found on the R model as well. I believe the side cover can be drilled and tapped for it, but if not clutch covers show up on ebay every so often. I dont know if the mounting brackets come on the frame though :cry:. If they do it would be an easy mod to drop the oil temps some.

If you were to add an oil cooler, go for the XR400 one, its larger. If you have to make mounts, might as well go big.