Sign in to follow this  

Removing rust from chain?

Any quick tips on what kind of solvents I can use on my Regina X-ring chain to make 'er look a bit newer? :cry: There's a thin coat of rust.. I do the normal chain lubing after washing, but this FL humidity doesn't really let anything be.

I would just soak it in wd-40 or brake cleaner every time it's off the bike, but don't want to destroy the seals... :cry:

Looking to solve the problem chemically.. and I don't mean by a jar of elbow grease. :cry:

well i don't know about removing rust from the chain, maybe a nice stiff-bristled brush and some type of de-greaser or solvent.. scrub the chain at the rear sprocket. but for me, it's always been more about keeping rust off to begin with. if my chain gets rusty, it gots to go.

what i do to prevent rust is: every time you're done riding, and immediately after washing the bike, coat the chain with gear-saver. any time i change gear oil, either in the CRF or from a 2-stroke, the old gear oil goes into a little oil can that is just for this purpose. this isn't for lubing though as gear saver will fly right off when you ride, this is only to keep the chain coated while the bike is sitting and it keeps it from rusting.

it works very well. :cry:

Little bit of WD40 on a rag, keep it away from the O rings though.

If the rust is stubborn you may need to use a bit of very fine sandpaper.

And after cleaning up, make sure you spray it well with lube.

Actually, WD40 is very good for the O-rings. The WD40 helps condition the rings to keep them from cracking and dry-rot.

Actually, WD40 is very good for the O-rings. The WD40 helps condition the rings to keep them from cracking and dry-rot.

I use to use WD-40 right after a wash before I put on my chain lube. Then I heard WD wasn't good for O-ring chains. I thought that was probably BS because I had been using it with no problems. Then a year or so ago I was reading one of Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike Magazines, and they said the same thing. :cry: So I use Tri-Flow now right after a wash. We have one of those Grunge Brushes, and some all purpose cleaner to clean the chain. After that I spray a little tri-flow and so there is no excess water on the chain. After it drys I just use BelRay Chain Lube. We have never had any problems with rust, but we don't live in an extremely humid environment.

Thanks for the tips guys.. Took a can of parts cleaner and a wire brush to her a few hours ago, shined her up fairly well. Took if off and soaked it in gas to get all the debris off for a moment and moistened her back up and did the usual.. Not quite good as new, but definately loads better than before. :cry: