Sign in to follow this  

yz250f 01 vs yz250f 02 500$ differance is it worth it.

ok iam going to be buying a bike hear really soon and well

there is a 01 yz250f and a 02 yz250f is the o2 worth 500$ more or should i save the money and buy parts for the 01 .

also i knwo there werew some changes form 01-02 liek the gas tank but what else thnx

Hey dude, I was faced with the same situation last year at this time. At first I was looking to buy an 02 250f because I thought it would be more in my price range. After lots of research on this site and ebay watching auctions, it was soon clear to me that I needed an 03 250f. The 01 and 02 models are the first generation 250f while the 03's and up are the second generation. Will the next generation be an 06 with an aluminum frame? I sure hope so. Anyway an 03 is similar enough to the new bikes to feel like a new one, yet the price you will pay for one is more similar to an 02. The improvements of an 03 over an 02 are less weight, better suspension, flatter, thinner chassis with better styling, and most importantly the decompression cam. All 250f's have a sweet motor and the 03 has titanium valves. I'm not sure if the 01 or 02 have them but you definetly want them. The 03 models and newer are a lot easier to cure the bog on too. Just pop in a #40 leak jet on most and adjust the accelerator pump. I bought my 03 on ebay last year around November. It had super low hours with tons of aftermarket goodies on it, and all the stock parts. I bought it for $4200 which was high book value at that time and sold $900 worth of stuff on ebay. I kept the powernow and complete n-style graphics kit with blue side covers and backgrounds. If you look around and are patient you should be able find a similar deal or better since that was a year ago. The key is to find one with lots of goodies and low hours. Even if you pay top dollar for the bike there is a big market for like new hop-up parts. Just sell the ones you don't need. If you buy a cheap bike then chances are you will have to buy tires, sprockets and chain, brakes, cables, etc. just to get it going good. Good luck.

ok iam going to be buying a bike hear really soon and well

there is a 01 yz250f and a 02 yz250f is the o2 worth 500$ more or should i save the money and buy parts for the 01 .

also i knwo there werew some changes form 01-02 liek the gas tank but what else thnx

I just bought a 2001 YZ 250 F back in june.

I was on a budget and the price was right.

Odds are with something in that year probably has a few mods done to it

Make sure to find out what has been done to it.

There is a free mod section for YZ/WR's read up on what can be done

If your buying one rember they are notorious for hard starting.

If you find one see if it has been upgraded to an 03 exhaust cam with auto decompression, that eliminates the manual decompression lever on the handle bars.

The YZ 250 F has always had titanium valves from day 1.

Mine would have been sold in a garage sale the weekend before I bought it if the 4 different people looking at it had known the procedure for starting the 01 250 F. (wife was there hubby was at work)

Happy roosting:thumbsup:

I just bought a 2001 YZ 250 F back in june.

I was on a budget and the price was right.

Odds are with something in that year probably has a few mods done to it

Make sure to find out what has been done to it.

There is a free mod section for YZ/WR's read up on what can be done

If your buying one rember they are notorious for hard starting.

If you find one see if it has been upgraded to an 03 exhaust cam with auto decompression, that eliminates the manual decompression lever on the handle bars.

The YZ 250 F has always had titanium valves from day 1.

Mine would have been sold in a garage sale the weekend before I bought it if the 4 different people looking at it had known the procedure for starting the 01 250 F. (wife was there hubby was at work)

Happy roosting:thumbsup:

perfect timing :ride: ... its only been 5 years since the op made the thread:bonk: