Sign in to follow this  

Clunky shifting - will synthetic oil help?

I have been noticing a little stickyness between gears when shifting sometimes on my '04 DRZ. I seem to remember seeing somewhere on this forum that using synthetic oil helps- or maybe I just need a bigger boot!

Check to make sure the shift lever is tight. Everytime I experience poor shifting, it has been because my shift lever has come loose. 😢

Mike

😢

I thought the same thing about mine when I first got it. After a lot of use, the clunky shifting went away and now shifts smoothly. Maybe its an issue with new bikes until broken in.

Synthetic made my bike's shifting very slick. I was surprised by the difference. Good luck.

My buddy and I both have DRZs. We swapped for a comparison. He said mine shifted better than his. I didn't notice a problem with his but later saw him adjust his clutch cable. Clutch cable adjustment might be a first try quick fix. I think if you do the two finger pull and the cable stretches a little you don't get the same clutch movement you used to and the DR shifts sticky. Try it and see if it helps.

It does take a while for the shifting to smooth out. Synthetic oil after break in definately helps. Clutch cable adjustment is critical. I found that I need to be more assertive when shifting my klx than some other bikes I've had.

mine is real smooth as long as iam using the clutch. it wont shift very easy with out it like my cr or rm does.

Ya that's what I was thinking. I'm going to switch to synthetic oil and see if it improves. It's not that bad really. It just gets stuck in between gears every now and then. Clutch and gear shift lever are fine. I'll let you know if I notice any improvement when I switch.