Sign in to follow this  

KTM 250 EXC vs. YZ 250F

I just figured out that KTM makes a 250 four stroke and it made my day, because well it's a KTM, enough said. Anyway I was seriously considering getting a used yz250f but I was wondering what it had against a 250exc. I will be doing mostly woods riding and open pastures with the occasional day at the local MX track.

Thanx for any help or feedback.

P.S. I know a 200 2 stroke would be an awesome woods bike but I would really like a thumper.

I posted the same thing in the KTM forum.

Jake28

i believe that up until recent models, the ktm 250 RFS was well down on power vs the yamaha 250F. the first generation 250 RFS engine was simply a sleeved 400 RFS motor. that may have changed.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Relability with the KTM wont be what it is with the Yamaha. Read reviews on the Katoom. Sweet rig when it runs but mine was a headache, could have been a lemon. Lots of headshake and vibration, fork seal issues, and a whopper of an oil change procedure; 2 filters and 3 screens. I like the blue bike better but I ride the 450 and not the 250, could be different on that side steed. I am sure you will like either one though. It is a matter of personal preference. Dont forget about parts, Yamaha stuff may be a bit easier to find and a bit cheaper.