Sign in to follow this  

CO Guys - FIrst Ride Recommendations

I got a '01 XR400 about a 4 - 6 weeks ago. It took me a while to kit it, service it and dual sport it. Then I decided to get a hitch installed and a motojackrack, which arrived 2 days ago.

During this time, I've only ridden the XR a few times on the street and on some open fields and construction sites near home. BTW: I'm an experienced road/dirt road rider, 53 years old and have all the recommended protective gear (unused as yet). So, any recommendations on where a new dirt bike rider should go to get his feet wet on this thing? I'm in the Denver area. Thanks, Larry

What kind of riding do you want to do?

Trail, MX....exc.....

I ride Ramphart range, and Rollins Pass. Also around the Montazuma area. But they are all dirt roads and old mining roads. Most would need a 4x4 or a bike to get through.

Also Where around the Denver area do you live? Maybe we could hook up for a ride? I live out by DIA in Green Valley Ranch.

Hey Tony

The XR400 isn't really an MX bike, but at this point I'll give anything a try. I did a little trail riding and hill climbing as a kid. Now I have some giant trailies (R1200GS and F650GS) and have done some dirt roads and stuff. But I really want to do some beginner-level off-roading and single track and work my way up to some Hare Scrambles and enduros maybe.

BTW: I live off of I-25 and Belleview, in the Tech Center. Larry

I am off of I-25 and Orchard right now. Ha ha...Small world huh? I rode the Watkins track once, but it was not really my "cup of tea". I like riding up by Rollins Pass/Winter Park area. It is a little cold up there now, but next spring I will be up there every chance I get. I am going hunting in Winter Park this weekend, but I am going to take my bike up with me anyways.

I will PM you the next time I get something going together for a ride!

See you,

Tony

Merf...

Rampart's a good ride, close enough to ditch work and play in the dirt. Great for the XR. I wouldn't recommend riding alone or on the weekends unless you get as south as possible, to many helmet-less quads not paying attention. You may want to pick up a trail map at Sprucwood or the market in Sedalia. I'm going to try and ride a couple more times this year as long as the weather holds.....your more than welcome to join.

Check out this other web site for local riders:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cotrailriders/

Agreed... the clueless quadozers are one of the reasons I don't ride Rampart much any more.

Ride Rampart during the week and it isn't too bad...

Merf