cool foggy dew pics

Yep. some really nice country over there. Only bum thing for me is that the old loops have been broken up by making some of the trails off-limitis to bikes AND, requires street legal to make some other loops.

Loynz and OldBones, notice the rock slabs in the photos? ? Some good Trials stuff over there in places. ?

Loynz and OldBones, notice the rock slabs in the photos? Some good Trials stuff over there in places.

I do look at trails and riding pictures differently now that I own a trials bike. Best part about my Gas Gas is that I can have fun in my backyard and any other area that used to be too small for my KTM.

Anyone know what trail this is:

http://trav.smugmug.com/photos/9833428-L.jpg

I've ridden Foggy about 4 times and have never seen this trail...

Doug

funny you ask that because I sent my friend an e-mail with the exact same question ?

here is his response:

that trail is called angels staircase and is a hiker only trail. you can see it from the top of deadmans pass which is located at the top of the trail in the picture with the closeup of just the switchbacks.

he also had the following to say which I think is worth posting here:

the foggy dew/sawtooth area is the most spectacular area remaining in washington that is still open to bikes and the forest service is under tremendous pressure to eliminate multiple use there. the wenatchee nf is undergoing a plan revision at this time and it's a distinct possibility that we could lose that area to the hiker-only elitists. make sure you send in a comment or attend a meeting to make your voice heard.

If you don't know what he is referring to above, the wenatchee NF is currently taking comments on what areas you use. Go to the nma news list, http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news.shtml, and follow the link for "Forest Plans Revision Meeting Schedules, 10/7/2004". We all need to give our comments and attend these meetings if possible ?

here is the direct link to provide your input

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/colville/cow/activities.htm

I do look at trails and riding pictures differently now that I own a trials bike. Best part about my Gas Gas is that I can have fun in my backyard and any other area that used to be too small for my KTM.

Yep, Right-On!! It's difficult to understand how that can be so until you've actually been there.

In your case, you need to develop a special trailer so you can tow your Gas Gas with the KTM. Then when you see a pile of rocks or somthing, ride the GG, put it away and continue on blasting on the KTM ??

Oh, if you *DO* manufacture one, You've got one customer here ?

Is Foggy Dew part of the Sawtooth Backcountry? ?

The name Foggy Dew just refers to the campground bearing that title as well as foggy dew creek and foggy dew falls. Those pictures are entirely within the Sawtooth Backcountry area. So to eliminate confusion, there really isn't a separate foggy dew area. It's all one trail system. Awesome pics!

Eric

If you don't know what he is referring to above, the wenatchee NF is currently taking comments on what areas you use. Go to the nma news list, http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news.shtml, and follow the link for "Forest Plans Revision Meeting Schedules, 10/7/2004". We all need to give our comments and attend these meetings if possible

here is the direct link to provide your input

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/colville/cow/activities.htm

Trav,

Thanks for sharing that with all of us. I'll be trying my best to make one of those meetings. However, I have to be moved out of my house in less than 30 days, so I may have to send my comments with my dad to the meeting.

I know most of you have never been to this area. If you have, you will know it's one of, if not the most beautiful trail systems in the state. Hands down the best trails for the true backcountry rider. Please, please, please.........everyone send comments. If you can, attend a meeting. Thanks! ?

Eric

the foggy dew/sawtooth area is the most spectacular area remaining in washington that is still open to bikes and the forest service is under tremendous pressure to eliminate multiple use there. the wenatchee nf is undergoing a plan revision at this time and it's a distinct possibility that we could lose that area to the hiker-only elitists. make sure you send in a comment or attend a meeting to make your voice heard.

YES YES YES... So very true. We already lost a lot of great places in the early 80's when they expanded the Glacier Peak Wilderness and Sawtooth Wilderness to eat up the Snowbrushy Trail to Domke Lake (N48° 10.675' W120° 35.379'). We lost the trails to Pyramid Peak (8,157 feet, N48° 4.752' W120° 34.075') and all of the stunning trails from there to Snowbrushy trail.

In the Sawtooths, we lost everything North and West of Cub Lake including the old trail South of there around Uno Peak and Ferry Peak. Some of the more difficult trails were closed to motorcycles in the non-wilderness 'open to ORV' areas. I remember riding to Upper Eagle Lake the Summer of '96 then returning the Summer of '97 only to find they close the 1/4 mile trail to the lake to motorcycles even when the trail system was ORV funded.. Expecting you to leave your $7,000 machine unattended while you walk the 1/4 mile to the lake??? *@%!@#!

??? Don't get me started. Anyway, YES, speak up! NOW! before we lose the rest of it piece by piece. ? Sorry, I guess this belongs in the Land Use Legislation area, but maybe not.

Here's a 1997 photo form Horsehead Pass. Didn't see another person all day!

sawtooth2.jpg

Doug

Hi Doug,

The Angels staircase photo is a closeup that is cropped from this photo:

http://trav.smugmug.com/gallery/251223/5/9833429

Photo is taken from standing atop deadmans pass. Angels Staircase is to the east. You can see the trail across the basin (at center) going north towards Boiling lake.

I've been up and down it on mountain bikes, and I saw some trials riders go uver it about 10 years ago (illegal). The top is 8000 feet. You can coast to Foggy dew camp from there with no chain!

Tom

Only bum thing for me is that the old loops have been broken up by making some of the trails off-limits to bikes AND, requires street legal to make some other loops.

Does anyone know current status of Safety harbor trail and Uno peak? Are they still open to bikes I heard Safety harbor was opened a couple months ago (after being closed for 2 years due to a washout) but not confirmed.

Does anyone know the snow status up there?

The loop around Uno Peak is still open, although there is considerable concern by the USFS(and others)regarding trail condition of the section of trail from Crow Cabin down into the Safety Harbor Creek drainage. It's apparently too steep and has too many nasty switchbacks. Not sure who's standards they're using, but you know how that goes. There's supposedly a plan to reroute or reconstruct this section. Similar story for the section of trail from Miners Basin to the top of Deadmans Pass.

My dad has told me many stories of Chipmunk Pass, and riding into Surprise Lake, and many more. Unfortunately I've never been able to see those places due to the USFS actions that you just described. It's sickening. We have to speak up now!

2PLY, Loynz,

I've been thinking more and more about getting into trials riding. The only way I'd be able to do it right now though, would be to get rid of the regular bike. How are the bikes on day rides? Are there oversized tanks? Pack a few gallons in a back pack? How about riding with others on normal rides? Are you able to keep up reasonably? I got a chance to spend about 3 mins on one in a parking lot at Reiter once after a ride. It felt weird, but sparked my interest. The guy mentioned going to a trials event and finding someone to let me ride a "section" to get a real test for it. Sounds like I might do that.

Jeremy

Doug

That's the side of Angels Staircase as seen from Deadmans Pass, aka "The Wall". The opposite side of the "staircase" would be the Cooney Lake side accessed via the Martin Lake Trail.

Accurate description... Here are a couple map shots from Topo USA if you care to download them:

Wide area Map

Closer central Map Showing Cooney Lake and the Staircase trail

Does anyone know current status of Safety harbor trail and Uno peak? Are they still open to bikes I heard Safety harbor was opened a couple months ago (after being closed for 2 years due to a washout) but not confirmed.

Does anyone know the snow status up there?

I'm still waiting for the answer Tom, but looking at the Topo USA 5.0 Map, I see the old trail to Uno Peak, the part that goes around the West Side is in the Wilderness. I rode that trail about 1980 for Mike Dolfay. Never went back and sorry I didn't.

Quite often, I find these maps show the ancient trails. I don't know if the Uno Peak trail was relocated or not. Maybe that's why Mike asked me to ride it and report back. He was in the hospital at the time and there was some deadline he was trying to meet.

You probably already have better maps, but just in case, if it helps at all, here is a snap shot from the Delorme Topo USA map you can download with most of the area, sized for 11x17 print-out. It's over 1 Meg. But notice the wide soft bluish/green Wilderness boundary line. The top of Uno Peak is West of that line.

Large Sawtooth Map with Uno Peak & Wilderness Boundary