Sign in to follow this  

Goggle strap??

As many of you know from my past post, I'm just getting back into the sport. I've been snowmobiling for quite some time. I bought a moto cross helmet and put a set of quick straps on it. If you don't know what I'm talking about they are built like this: One side of your helmet has a piece that is stuck to the helmet that the strap hooks on to. The other side has velcro stuck to the helmet. When you want your goggles they will be hanging on one side of your helmet, all you go it grab them and out them over your eyes and velcro the other side down. That way you don't have to mess with the strap all the way around your helmet. I was wondering if these straps aren't accepted in the motorcycle world? Thanks! :cry:

its all about convenience and trying to keep the evil fog crom creeping into your ride and of course your goggles!!

Those velcro straps are very popular around here, especially useful for casual trail riding when taking breaks on the trail. I dont think racers (track or trail) have a need for them.

As many of you know from my past post, I'm just getting back into the sport. I've been snowmobiling for quite some time. I bought a moto cross helmet and put a set of quick straps on it. If you don't know what I'm talking about they are built like this: One side of your helmet has a piece that is stuck to the helmet that the strap hooks on to. The other side has velcro stuck to the helmet. When you want your goggles they will be hanging on one side of your helmet, all you go it grab them and out them over your eyes and velcro the other side down. That way you don't have to mess with the strap all the way around your helmet. I was wondering if these straps aren't accepted in the motorcycle world? Thanks! :cry:

I have seen people with them before on the trails, where did you get them.....I would like to buy some - any online stores have them??????

Thanks

<font color="navy">Actually, I find they're fairly popular in the off-road world -- at least here in So Cal. Most dealerships and accessory shops stock them in a variety of colors. They are very handy for quickly removing your goggles when stopped (or they're fogging for some reason), then getting them right back into place when underway (not fiddling with the strap). Here's more info:

http://www.offroadimports.com.au/quickstrap.htm

You can purchase them at a wide-variety of on-line sources. Chapparal, for instance, has them for $15.99 >> clicky <<.

I've been using them for years and never had a problem. Love the convenience. :cry:

I have used them for years and all of my crew usses them for moto and off road.

When you are on the line at a cool night race, just pluck 'em off until the card goes up...

riding a muddy event and your roll off, tear offs run out, just pull 'em down until you get a chance to pit( I do not recommend riding without goggles but go to any mud event and see what happens)

You will definitely save goggle as I see many lying on the trail when it is wet or muddy..

keep the velcro clean or as it gets older the goggles have a tendency to fall down.

You can buy the whole kit for 17 bucks and they sell the velco/button as a kit...look in dennis kirk or any other catalog...

My son and I both use Quickstraps, as well as some of our MX and offroad friends.

One tip in case you didn't figure it out already -- instead of just letting the goggles hang down when you're not using them, you can attach the velcro end so that the goggles are on the back of your helmet. I like to keep them there when I'm not using them, because if they hang down and you are sweaty or muddy, the goggle lens will get dirty. Keeping the goggles on the back of your helmet keeps the lens and top tearoff clean. :cry:

Great until your on an overgrown trail that requires both hands on the bars and a branch snags and pulls em off. you then can choose to stop immeidatly and reattach or ride ahead and stop. I didn't like riding ahead because of the same branches that snagged em in the first place.

Sometimes this is a pain so I quit using mine.

I never see racers using them

I never see racers using them

Plenty of local racers do, at least around here. Pro racers who get sponsorship money from Scott and other goggle manufacturers probably are told not to use the QuickStraps, since that eliminates the goggle manufacturer's logo. Yeah, all the pros use the original goggles with the logos very visible. :cry:

Thanks for the replies people! I use them for snowmobiling and love them. Now I will use them for the dirt too. Thanks again! :cry:

No local racers use them around here, but they would be handy on trails. The ATV morons around here don't even bother to wear helmets.

I use them, and love em'. Here's what I do, when I know the trail is going to be tight and overgrown I strap the goggles around the back like Berkman mentioned, but I wear glasses instead(the same ones I use mountainbiking). This works great when it's really hot. Then when I come out to a fast section I just reach around and snap the goggles over my glasses with one hand. Takes some practice, but I've got it down now :cry:

I couldn't live without my quickstraps either. They are so convenient, especially when riding in snow and having them fog up constantly.

Do the Quickstraps simply go on the helmet with one suction cup on each side? Seems like they would pop off - no? Anyone have problems with them popping off?

Do the Quickstraps simply go on the helmet with one suction cup on each side? Seems like they would pop off - no? Anyone have problems with them popping off?

No, they use a peel and stick adhesive to attach the button and Velcro patch to the helmet. I've had them on my helmet for 2.5 years and they are still stuck on perfectly. The helmet is beat, but the Quick Strap is like new...

I've been using them too for a couple years, and really like them. Branches are always reaching out trying to grab me on the trails, snagged my shirt a few times, but never had issues with the Quick Straps.

The pros don't wear them because when they stand on the podium they need to be able to spin their goggles around their neck so the Scott (or whetever brand) is showing to everyone. They're not wearing their helmets but their goggles are still on spun backwards -- kinda funny looking. :naughty: