Hit 4th gear and the BRP started bogging and pitching and then died??

No clue what the heck happened? I just came back from Kennedy Meadows and re-jetted my bike back to 68S and 175 main. The bike was running fine for about an hour and then we had to get on the freeway and once I got into the higher gears it bogged and died. I've heard the pilot jet is for low gears/low speeds and the main is for high gears/high speeds so maybe the main jet is blocked w/ dirt or something? It had problems starting back up too. wierd. Any ideas?

Went in and cleaned them out and there was nothing in any of the jets. Float bowl was clean. Everything was clean. Didn't drop a jet either. All was in good working order. Wierd. Clean air filter. Engine oil color is slightly brown but not dirty by any means. Any other ideas guys?

Pilot and main were both still tight and in the right place. Weird. Any other ideas? ?

- maybe some water in your tank?

- maybe your choke got knocked into the 1/2 way position?

- maybe your petcock was not on the full "on" position?

- maybe you turned the headlight adjustment screws too tight? ? :cry:

?

Pilot and main were both still tight and in the right place. Weird. Any other ideas? ?

- maybe some water in your tank?

- maybe your choke got knocked into the 1/2 way position?

- maybe your petcock was not on the full "on" position?

- maybe you turned the headlight adjustment screws too tight???

?

- maybe you turned the headlight adjustment screws too tight? ? :cry:

:cheers:Good One!?

Choke was fine and so was the petcock.

After thinking about the episode I noticed that the bike, when idling, would rev up and down slightly on it's own when idling. If I pinged the throttle, after the intial rev, it would decel to low revs and then slowly creep back up. Would that give anyone any other ideas?

Man this is weird. I went riding yesterday and was flying around in 1st through 3rd gear for about 3 hours. No problems. Took that same trail out to the freeway and got on it and took off. Got up into 4th and then 5th and it was fine for about 1/4 mile then it started sputtering and bogging and died again. ? I tried bump starting it while I was still going 65+ and it started back up but was pitching and kicking again and then died. It wouldn't bump start anymore so I had to pull off on the shoulder. After about 8 tries kickstarting it it finally fired back up. You could tell the engine was struggling (never got it out of 3rd once I got it started back up) so I headed straight for my truck and loaded up. I have no clue what is going on. I'm going to go check my tank vent hose and my carb hoses at lunch. I'll post later if I notice anything fishy.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, Eventually I'll get this figured out. Hopefully quickly since we have been getting rain for the first time in 200+ days ?

I know someone already suggested it but excluding an electrical problem it could be water in the fuel and carb that cuts the flow too low when demand is high.

Dump a bottle of HEET fuel dryer into the tank.

I noticed you have an aftermarket tank in your sig. Instead of dumping in "dry gas", take the tank off and drain it.

When you put your new tank on did you rinse it out first? Mine had lots of plastic shavings from the manufacturing of the tank inside. It might be that your fuel filter screen is being choked with these plastic filings.

It's worth a try to see if the screen needs cleaned. ? It is very delicate, just spray it off with carb cleaner.

?

Does the bike run at WOT in 1st thru 3rd gears?

Have you messed with the spark plug since the problem started?

Check that the spark plug is tight and the plug wire is secure to the plug.

Do you know anyone with a 650R that you could swap CDI's with?

?

After taking my tank off and on excesively one weekend Mine did the similar thing but it wouldn't go above idle! I was told by dealer that it was fuel related and since I had edelbrock carb that they couldn't work on it...I cleaned it then concluded it was electrical b/c it didn't help...later when removing the tank again the to get to something the ground wire for the Coil popped off and turned out that it was a broken so barely hanging on...so at higher need for spark and RPM's it'd cut out as if kill switch pressed!

So what I'm saying is along with finding another XR650R and switching out expensive parts to find the culprit, also check all connections...since yours goes to 4th It may be a corrosion in connection instead of broken?

Just some thoughts...if you hadn't checked them already!

JT

I cleaned itout about a month ago. Had some dirt and stuff in there. I'll check it again but I'm almost positive it's clean. Regardless how would that affect me ONLY in 4th gear or higher? ? Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'm starting to wonder if its the auto decompressor on the cam that might be failing. I had some weird problems with one of my 650R's a ways back where it would cut out at higher RPM's (not bouncing off the rev limter) and then was sometimes difficult to start or it would just stop and sometimes wouldn't start. It was driving me nuts for a while because it was so darn intermittent. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it's something else that you might want to investigate.

I had the same problem on my old DR. It was fuel starvation. Float level was too low, and after running flat out in a higher gear, sucker would run outta gas. Fixed it by raising the float a couple of mm..Seemed to only happen when the tank was less than 1/3 full.

Sorry haven't let you guys know what happened. It's been raining here in So-Cal (for the first time in over 200 days a inch of accumulation) So I've been out riding. It's been so nasty, muddy etc.. that I haven't barely got into 3rd gear so the bike was running fine. Kept dying on me though when RPM's would drop low. Not always but sometimes. Anyway going to get to work on it tomorrow so I'll let you know who had the right idea.

BTW for some reason I think that it's either a pinched hose or the float bowl reasoning. How do you adjust your float bowl? I have the manual so I can reference off that for your explanation. Thanks ?

BIGGITY,

My recommendation is to find a friend who's had experience messin with the float level and seek their help. It can be confusing If you've never done it before.

Do you have an after market fuel filter installed?

Did you yank the fuel line off the carb and turn on the gas to make sure you've got plenty of flow?? Tough to diagnose probs from a tv screen. Good luck, only wish I could be there in person... ? let us know what you find...