Sign in to follow this  

Valves again- theory only!

Whew, lots of valve talk!

I am interested in theories of why valves are a problem and what are any/ all potential remedies...nothing is too far fetched, just an open discussion.

Here is a couple of questions?

How do f-1 valves open and close...?

is their a better way for the valve to "follow" the cam other than forcing it on the lobe with a spring?

matching valves and springs- is their a spring match to the ss valves?

Can a yamaha head be modified to fit a kxf cylinder so 5 valves can be utilized.

Does the valve lift and duration present the problem for kawsukis and does the aftermarket have a more mellow lobe?

After reading(re-readin alot!!), Rich and Hardhats pots in the other thread, I am starting to understand some of their concern(not sure about the first presentaion of their ideas but I am trying to keep an open mind)

I am interested in these ideas because i have been dealing with some very similiar issues in printing(we running high speed web presses at 2800 fpm (85-90000per hour of junk mail) and I have been dealing with a spinning cylinder with a cam follower that rotates around a stationary cam...and fighting bounce, inertia and durability...sound familiar!

I love to ride and I really do enjoy working and testing my bikes...I don't like performing major motor repairs at the accelerated rate the the small bore 250's require...

Hydraulic valve ends?,

Let me start off, the problem seems to be that the stock springs and even some aftermarket springs aren't able to control the valve at very high rpms. I don't know the technicalities of why this is but it is a problem mostly at high RPMs. Second, f1 valves are pneumatic, i actually believe it is nitrogen gas that controls them.