Sign in to follow this  

"Moving Clip" on XR50 needle

This is a rather pedestrian question, but several posts have mentioned "moving the clip on the needle down a position or two towards the end" on an XR50 (my son's is a 2002, if that matters). Where is needle located on the carb, and what exactly is the procedure to be followed to do this? My son's bike idles like crapola. . . randomly increasing and decreasing.

Pictures would be great, but a written explanation would be almost as good! Thanks!

The needle is in the slide. Remove the slide from the top of the carb, and you will see the needle connected to the slide. When you remove the needle from the slide you will see the clip. Just pop the clip off and move it to a different ring position as needed. Moving the clip up (= needle down) will reduce gas flow through your main jet. Moving the clip down (= needle down) will increase your flow. I hope I'm clearer than mud here. Good luck. Oh yeah, a manual would help big time!

If it's only at idle, check your idle circuit rather than the needle setting. The needle has nothing to do with idle if it's at all like the larger bikes' carbs.

Also check the throttle cable routing, if the engines races when you turn the bars from one side to the other, the cable is caught on something, and lifting out of the carb. That makes the revs increase.

Also check the throttle cable routing, if the engines races when you turn the bars from one side to the other, the cable is caught on something, and lifting out of the carb. That makes the revs increase.

This was the case with my 50. the shop mounted the throttle assembly rotated too far back, causing the cable to become tight when the bars turned to the right. Made for a couple "Depends" monents in the garage until I figured out what was going on. :cry: