Sign in to follow this  

If you were to do it over again?

Those that have the E model and those that have the S model, would you choose the other in lieu of what you now have and why?

Those that have the E model and those that have the S model, would you choose the other in lieu of what you now have and why?

I have the S model and if I had to do it over agian I would prob get the E model, The E comes stock with most of the things you need to change out on the S. Perticularly the carb and the E is lighter, has more compression and flat out runs better. It doesn't cost as much to make an E bike streetable, costs lots more to make the S perform like the E...

I have a DS'd E and I'd buy another E if given the choice. Same reasons as above.

Only thing about the S I liked better, was that the one I rode was a LOT smoother on the road. Mine felt barbaric in comparison.

I had a "E" for about year & 1/2 I ride a '04 "S" now. I like the "S" better because for me it is a more versatile all around bike. I hardly notice the extra weight or the loss of power. :cry:

I have the S model and if I had to do it over agian I would prob get the E model, The E comes stock with most of the things you need to change out on the S. Perticularly the carb and the E is lighter, has more compression and flat out runs better. It doesn't cost as much to make an E bike streetable, costs lots more to make the S perform like the E...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thats my exact thoughts also :cry:

It would depend on where I live now, and plan on living in the near future.

But mostly,,, It would not make a difference..... About the only part on an E I have, or would want on my bike,, is the base gasket and FCR...... Every other E part that is different from E to S has been replaced with aftermarket stuff on my bike.. SO even if I bought an E,, most of those parts would be on a shelf or trash can...

So,, $12 for a gasket set,,,, that would have been replaced when installing the new piston,, there fore does not count, and $400 or so for the carb.

With the S, I have a title good in any state, a much better headlight system for street riding, and my night rides/races and $400 in parts that I would not have spent on an E

VS the E,and $$ spent on making it street legal,, and not plateable in many states.

To me it is a wash.... but only beacuse of what I know know,,,and would add to either bike.

I bought the S six weeks ago. About two weeks later, the pics of the black SM were posted on here. I've since been riding with a friend who has a road legal E and he has WAY more power than my bike.

So, if I could do it over again, I'd have bought a dualsported E instead of an S AND a black SM to ride on the roads.

But I'm getting motard wheels for the S shortly so I'll have a bike that does nearly everything.

Ian

Jet kit and a full pipe wakes the "S" right up. :cry:

Quite happy with mine. I never have "E" envy. I have several buddies that have both "E" and "S" models. Once both models are well set up, there isn't really very much difference between the two.

Mike

:cry:

I'm fairly happy (so far) wiht the S because i'm coming from a 175 2-stroke. So the stock power of the S is more than I will need untill my skillz go up considerably. Also i can go anywhere in canada/usa now and keep the license plate on my bike. Not possible with an E.

I could use a bit better throttle response (will be done by installing the dynojet kit) and maybe a better dirt tire. (will put trakmasters on next time)

Once i get a new tank on there After the mods listed above, i will be flyin.

There is nothing really on an E that i want more than what is on my S.

As bronco said also, if i was that power hungry, most things on the E would probly get replaced by aftermarket anyways.

Just my 2c :cry:

I have the E, and do only dirt riding (would be nice to take a road spin every now and then), but would definately get the E again do to performance. Very difficult to get an S tagged in Maryland. If you need/want to ride some road, then depending on the state, you may have to get an S.

. Very difficult to get an S tagged in Maryland. If you need/want to ride some road, then depending on the state, you may have to get an S.

Say what? :cry: :cry: Why would it be difficult to get a 50 state legal bike tagged in Maryland?

If I had the choice, I'd have bought an E model (actually I'd have gone for the kicker), but being that I'm in FL and it's impossible to register a dirtbike as a dual sport, my only option was the S.

But, in retrospect.. I've spent less money modifying my S model to kick any stock E/K model's ass [powerwise, still have the 01 S suspension] for less than a dual sport kit. You just gotta shop around. :cry:

Honestly? I don't think I would do a thing different. The SM would be tempting at this juncture...but since my higher focus is the dual sporting capability...I would probably still buy the S. That does not mean I won't ADD a SM when and if the money purse permits. :cry:

I just don't have enough info have not even seen another drz400 S or E. If i didn't buy my wife a bike I would never have anyone to ride with. But I am a loaner anyway. I did go to a pay to ride place once. Alot of ATV's were there and a Yamaha 450 nice bike but eveything the guy had on was new including the bike so I didn't bother to ask to try it out. His skill level was not to high never saw him push it at all. I did ride my DRZS to the park he had to trailer his. So I guess I would stick with the s model.

I have an E and would get another (now there's an idea :cry:). I however live in a state that is easy to register bikes. I don't do all that much on the street, so I think it depends on how much street you intend to do. That said, the new SM is pretty sweet, add a set of dirt wheels and love life! :cry:

I bought the 'E' for the button, didn't want to spend an extra 2K for a KTM. I'm glad I bought the DRZ-E, it's been a very dependable, fun to ride and easy to mantain bike. I bought the 'E' for the dirt so the 'S' was not an option. I cruise on the Goldwing when I need to ride on the street. :cry: :cry:

Do the E models for all years have the key for starting the bike?