Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400S Fuel Petcock problem

Mine leaks like a river. There is a small drain hole on the bottom of the back side of the valve that leaks whenever the bike is running. HELP on fixing or where to find a new or rebuilt one. Suzuki is out of stock.

THANKS

Sounds like a leaking diaphram or the screws holding the back plate are loose. Mine was leaking but it was the o-ring gaskets. I soaked them in brake fluid to swell them back up. It's worked so far. But if the fuel [@#$%&*!] is bad I would go after market or E model fuel [@#$%&*!].

Sounds like a leaking diaphram or the screws holding the back plate are loose. Mine was leaking but it was the o-ring gaskets. I soaked them in brake fluid to swell them back up. It's worked so far. But if the fuel [@#$%&*!] is bad I would go after market or E model fuel [@#$%&*!].

Wow I've been censored. the word I used was not bad in the way it was used.

there are 2 hoses that go to the petcock. main one in front and the other one behind it (smaller) mabey the small one came off

I second that idea. Once my S petcock started leaking I plugged the vacuum line and got an E one. Now it is one less thing to worry about. :cry:

I second that idea. Once my S petcock started leaking I plugged the vacuum line and got an E one. Now it is one less thing to worry about. :cry:

I had my S petcock fail and allow fuel to flow in the 'ON' position with the bike off so I removed it and replaced it with the E petcock. :cry:

I had my S petcock fail and allow fuel to flow in the 'ON' position with the bike off so I removed it and replaced it with the E petcock. :cry:

mine does that too.i thought that was normal.can that create flooding problems? guess i need to replace it.

Yeah...Mine is starting to dribble as well (petcock that is)...Anybody have the part no. from Ron Ayers handy?

I think this is the correct one from Ron Ayers for the E...

I'm thinking it should fit my IMS 4.2 tank ok?

Part Number: 44300-29F10

Description: [@#$%&*!], FUEL

Price: $49.29

Yeah...Mine is starting to dribble as well (petcock that is)...Anybody have the part no. from Ron Ayers handy?

Are you saying the gas should not come out of the fuel tank when you pull the hose on it in the on position,,my brand new one does,,If i turn it into the reserve position it stops :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you have the "S" petcock then no fuel should come out in either the normal or reserve position when the engine is not running as it is vacuum operated. Fuel should only flow in the Prime position when the engine is not running. However mine now leaks a little fuel (like others I see) when in the normal or reserve positions now when not running and disconnected. Did not used to do this and makes taking the tank off now messy (and I've got an IMS 4.2) as it drips drips drips fuel. I was thinking I was going to get a Pingel but they're kinda expensive and look to me like something from a plumbing store so I think I'm going to get the "E" petcock but not sure it will hook up to my IMS 4.2 tank OK? as it is the "S" model tank? Anybody know?

Are you saying the gas should not come out of the fuel tank when you pull the hose on it in the on position,,my brand new one does,,If i turn it into the reserve position it stops :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yup that's what I'm saying. I took my vacuum petcock apart and actually fixed it so no fuel would flow in the ON position unless the bike was running. OTOH, I still didn't trust it and that's why I ordered the stock petcock for the E model from Ron Ayers. Don't forget to also remove the vacuum line and plug the inlet on the carb.

the diaphragm on mine is fine, but mine is also leaking from the o-ring. I will try soaking it in brake fluid, but does anyone sell the o-ring? I would rather just replace it. Anyone?

i've repaired a petcock by putting a thin film of rubber gasket cement behind the rubber, if your carefull you could probably do the same with an "o" ring if it's got a groove to sit in.