Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjusting?

Ive read your suppose to adjust the vavles every so often, well my bike has 400+ miles on it(dont know exactly the dang odometer broke), should i check the vavles and adjust them? If so how do i go about doing this, im new to four strokes so i dont know much about them.

It's a relatively simple process, and very important to the longevity & performance of your machine. Have a friend that's done it before show you, and get a shop manual. The illustrations in the manual will guide you through it even if you don't have a buddy to help. If you have any specific questions during the process, I gaurantee there will be many riders willing to chime in. Good Luck.

Dont have any friends that actually do work on their bike, most of them take it in to get done or dont even do the work, but i cant get a manual right now.

Do adjust the valves frequently

you will find what you need answered HOW TO ect in Kev Xr's FAQ xr400, up top

under valves,.

stu

motoxrider969- You'll be glad you went the extra step to learn how to do your own valves. It will save you $, time, and give you the confidence to tackle other maintenance & repair issues. It will put you "in touch" with your machine. You'll both be better for it.

I am not the most mechanically included person, but adjusting the valves is pretty easy to do once you learn how to do it.

I urge those with new XR's to check the valves so they get a feeling of what the valves should be adjusted like when they are properly adjusted. Or check the valves after a mechanic has ajusted them. Now you know how the feeler guage should slip into the valve gap.

The MotionPro feeler guage is worth it's weight in gold for doing the adjustment.

Thanks guys, ill have to pick up a manual, i mean i know(knew) my 86 cr125 inside and out, i could do anything on that bike, except maybe replace a bottom end, but i did almost all of the work on that bike myself.