Sign in to follow this  

450 exc running lean

I am a new KTM owner - 05' 450 exc, formally a DR Z400S owner. 60 lbs lighter and a lot more power. I will never go back!! My question is this; The engine is running very lean, dealer said it was set up that way by the factory for emissions. It spits and pops a LOT when you let off the throttle. The dealer says that this will not harm the bike, but it is annoying. I am fairly mech. inclined, is there an easy adjustment I can do to richen it up or is re-jetting the answer. I would rather not mess with the jetting!! Thanks for any advice!!

Congrats on the KTM....."you can buy talent"

Yes it is real lean in stock form being that it is Cal. green sticker legal. I tried to move the needle and swapped mains on my '04, but nothing worked very well.

I recommend the JD kit. It is now spot-on, no decell pops, runs stronger and cleaner (60-90 deg. 500-2000ft.)

Oh yeah...It only takes 30min at most to re-jet, not like that DRZ. PM me for details.

Congrats, I was on the same bike, did the same chage for the same reasons... awesome bike! Congrats!

Frist do the JD kit, it helps. I found mine still had the decel popping and it was due to the exhaust pipe not sealing up tight around the header. Used some high temp silicon and it stopped... for a day or so! Seal it up and I'll bet your decel popping goes away but comes back when the stuff wears out, seems no one knows of any good high temp sealer that will last in that applicaiton.

Doesn't seem to hurt anything and you learn to not rev it up real fast with the clutch in just to make noise... normal riding I don't notice it much at all...

I just picked up my 04 525 mxc last week...I love it! I switched from a drz 400. My question is where can I find the JD jetting kit and how much is it? (my bike also pops alot under decelleration.) My other question is how strong are the subframes on these things? i noticed there are no braces between the two sides...Are they prone to bending if you get off hard??

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Michael :cry: