Sign in to follow this  

vermont plates

Anybody gone the vermont route lately?

The most recent posts on the subject indicated that it's still possible, the only change is you must now have the bike inspected by a dealer, to insure it has the proper equipment, headlight/signals/horn/brakelight/battery

anybody done one this year?

I recently got my plates in the mail from them. I did not need to get a vehicle inspection. I sent them the receipt showing the purchase of the dual sport kit. they said that was enough for them.

What to you do if you get pulled over? Doesn't CA law require that you register a vehicle in CA if you are a resident?

-Ede

Surf2snow1,

Can you elaborate on were you got the required, forms? The internet? Does the process convert your current title to a Vermont title and if so do they remove the verbage the say's "for off-road use only"? Did you give them an out of state address and they had no problem with that? Thanks for any help.

R.J.

Navarre, Fl

I think the idea with this is to register the motorcycle in Vermont and re-register in your own state. I do know that many if not all states require registration in X amount of time if you live in a state.

I have heard Georgia wont take a vermont transfer, at least I'll have a valid plate though, that's the most important thing, the only law I would be breaking is, georgia requires all titles to be transfered within 30 days of moving to georgia

I'm going to try to use my dualsport kit receipt with the paperwork

Vermont title and if so do they remove the verbage the say's "for off-road use only"?

That verbage is on the MSO. They keep the MSO and give you a clean title.

From the California DMV Web page

Out of state vehicles:

"How long do I have to register a vehicle from another state or country?

Nonresident vehicle owners who move to California must register their out-of-state vehicles in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California.

If a resident of California aquires a vehicle from another state or country, fees become due the date the vehicle enters California and must be paid within 20 days to avoid late penalties.

You may obtain information, which explains California's registration requirements by calling DMV at 1-800-777-0133, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (operators are available between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday) or go to your your local DMV office."

and

"The following information explains what you need to obtain California registration on a vehicle previously registered in another state or country.

What is a nonresident vehicle?

A nonresident vehicle is one that was last registered outside the state of California (i.e., in another state, country, province, territory). Anyone who brings a vehicle into California or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase) unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards. If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (vehicle manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country and do not qualify for one of the exemptions, you cannot register your vehicle and must immediately remove it from this state. You may purchase a One-Trip Permit to do so.

Reference: Health & Safety Code Section 43151(A)"

AirCommando, here is a list of all the stuff i sent in to vermont:

Current Registration (Title)

Fill out registration form off VT's DMV website

VIN verification from CA DMV (use the form the CA DMV uses)

Reciept for purchase of the DS Kit

Check made payable to Vermont's DMV

Vermont had no problem with an out of state address. I believe the bike is now registered as a street legal motorcycle. On my new Title it does not say "off road use only".

That is all that was needed. Tomorrow I am going down to AAA to transfer the bike into California.

AirCommando, here is a list of all the stuff i sent in to vermont:

Current Registration (Title)

Fill out registration form off VT's DMV website

VIN verification from CA DMV (use the form the CA DMV uses)

Reciept for purchase of the DS Kit

Check made payable to Vermont's DMV

Vermont had no problem with an out of state address. I believe the bike is now registered as a street legal motorcycle. On my new Title it does not say "off road use only".

That is all that was needed. Tomorrow I am going down to AAA to transfer the bike into California.

I wish you good luck. I tried 3 AAA offices and all refuced to trasfer titles from out of state vehicles. I assume you have to go to the DMV and I hope you get a guy who "assumes" your emission sticker is under the tank and doesn't insist to see it. I am interested to know how it went.

-Ede

I've run two bikes through AAA, they refered me to the CHP who signed off my bike and said I shouldn't have been sent there.

I just went to AAA to transfer my bike from Vermont to CA, and the clerks asked right up front if it was a street bike. They said they cannot do offroad or dirtbikes. Hope the manufacturers address this emissions issue on the performance bikes soon. I went dual sport because some of the fire roads I have been riding on since I was a kid now require a plate. It sucks. :cry: Tired of trying to beat the system. Its getting harder too as time goes on. :cry: :cry: