Sign in to follow this  

Land survey information needed!

I have 5 acres in Port Orchard that I have planned on building a track on for several years. My neighbor's ex husband used to have a bulldozing buisness, and he built a track on his property about 5 years back. He told me that he might have "straddled" the property line when he did the uphill and downhill sections. The property lines were never marked- this was very heavily treed and brush too thick to walk through- so he was just guessing when he built it.

Now I am ready to build my track, and just for kicks I do a parcel search on my property, get an aerial shot, and find that the entire downhill and uphill section of his track is on my property.

To make matters worse, he was kicked out by his wife 2 years ago and is no longer in the picture. Now I have all her helmetless buddies riding every weekend on my land.

The only remedy she will not dispute is a land survey.

I unfortunately cannot afford the 1-2 grand :cry: I have been told it will cost to have a surveyor come out. Anyone out there in TT land have suggestions or know a bike riding surveyor who might help?

Thanks, John21. :cry:

Show her the aerial photo. If your parcel lines are super-imposed over the photo, she should easily see the encroachment.

Remedy #2 is to find a way to tie in, and ride on their property too!

:cry:

Brandon, I thought about showing her the photo because it has lines, but there is a disclaimer on it that says the lines could be inaccurate up to like 10 feet. The original plan was to tie in and have a huge track we could both use, but that went out the window when they split. This woman can be difficult to deal with at times.

I am fan of remedy #2 :cry:

I tie into easements in my neighborhood and assess them as "part of my backyard". works great for snowmobile trailer and other storage :cry:

i needed info. regarding my property lines and i wasn't excited about dishing out the cash. so, i got on the king county web site and did a search to see if anyone in the neighborhood had done surveys. sweet! both my neighbors had surveyed their property - instantly, i had .pdf files of the surveys that they had recorded. the surveys were super detailed and showed all of my property lines. i don't know if kitsap county has a similiar setup? also, if the track has been their for 7 years (or is it 10?), you could run into an adverse possession situation where they could legally steal your property. to protect yourself, you need to stop this as soon as possible. there could also be liability issues. block it off now!!!!!

Have you called around and got estimates on surveying, mine property was $350 to have surveyed and staked.

Don't trust the Arial views and drawn in property lines, the one of my property doesn't match.

Good luck.

John, I am in the mortgage business and when you bought your home the title report has a plat map. If you do not have the paper work from your last loan, contact a title company and order a title report with plat map.

Brandon, I thought about showing her the photo because it has lines, but there is a disclaimer on it that says the lines could be inaccurate up to like 10 feet.

Your best bet is to work this out, between the two of you, as EASILY as possible.

I see this kind of stuff at work, and they really can pit neighbor vs. neighbor, and make the whole place stink!

I would still show her the photo. Yes, it may have an accuracy disclaimer on it, but it is as close to accurate that you are going to get, without the survey.

Look for previous surveys first (call a local title company and give them your parcel no. and they can search it for you) but even if you have a previous survey it's tough (not impossible) to locate the stakes and a plat map doesn't do much for rural acreage. You are on the right track looking for a TT'er in the business. Good Luck :cry:

The topic made me come in,

I don't know anything about your area, but the only way to put it to rest is to have a survey done. I'll give you a few tips.

First, when you call a surveyor don't tell him you need it done in a couple of day's. Tell them you would like it as quick as they can get to it and if thats 2-4 weeks that fine.

Second, the price is going to be a higher because there is a disputed property line. To them, that is a possible trip to court (and no one, wants to go there)

Third, don't tell them you want to be there when they do the work. Some don't care if you are there or not, some do. Most of the time if a property owner is there, alot of time is spent just BSing and to most time is money. Once they are done with the job (corners are set) ask them to meet you there so he can show you the corners (99% of the surveyor will have no problem with this and thats when you can BS)

Also,

Try and find out if anyone around you has had a survey done in the past 3 or so years. If they have, call the surveyor that did theirs.

Hope that helps,

brown

get a plot map from the the county of your property. 1-2 grand to survey is outragous, we get property surveyed and staked all the time and it is only $500.00 at most.

Adverse possesion only would apply if she is and has been paying the property taxes on that part of the property.

Borrow a metal detector and locate your stakes. Run a line and show her.

I would agree with blocking it off and/or tearing it down, you are liable. I doubt if you destroyed it and put up a fence she would try to sue when she undoubtely knows you are right.

I live in PO as well, and happen to know some folks that work with the county. I could maybe help you get some more detailed info on your lots...

Heck, I could even help you burn in your new track! :cry:

Shoot me a PM.

Wow! Thanks for all the advise, guys! I knew this was the right place to ask! :cry:

The adverse possesion deal is one of the main reasons I want to get this settled, besides the liability issues and the track that I am building.

I am a realtor, so getting a title report with a plat map will be easy. But I'm a very new realtor, so I don't have any connections built yet- like with a survey company.

You guys had better ideas than the agents at my office!

THANKS, and I'll keep you posted. John