why did my sprockets die?

I checked how much slack was in the chain and it looked fine. I did a 300-mile run in 2 days and now they are worn out. I even felt the chain slip a couple of times on the second day. I lubed the chain between days also but did not adjust the slack. Any ideas why it would die so quick? It was fine before the run.

I checked how much slack was in the chain and it looked fine. I did a 300-mile run in 2 days and now they are worn out. I even felt the chain slip a couple of times on the second day. I lubed the chain between days also but did not adjust the slack. Any ideas why it would die so quick? It was fine before the run.

Need more info.

What type of sprockets and chain?

Did you recently change the sprockets.......but leave on the old chain?

What conditions are you riding, and what type of lube?

?

I changed the front sprocket a while ago and left the rear sprocket and chain alone. I have heard of people changing the front sprockets depending on the type of terrain they are ridding so I did not think that would be a big deal. Again I changed it like towards the end of last season.

I don’t know what type of chain lube I used. I borrowed it off of some one at the ride.

The front was a 14 tooth steel sprocket the rear was factory along with a factory chain.

The rear wheel looks to be in alignment.

The wear looks like the space between the teeth is larger. The teeth also look rounded towards the front of the bike.

The front was a 14 tooth steel sprocket the rear was factory along with a factory chain.

So what your saying is: "I am riding a 1998 XR400(6 years old), with the stock chain and rear sprocket".

?

?

No

What I am saying it that the chain and rear sprocket are stk replacments. They are not the original ones.

As the chain stretches, it no longer mates up with the sprockets. The longer chain links hit on side and don't mesh into the middle. This is one reason why sprocket teeth start looking like curved shark fins, not symetrical ridges.

I was amazed that my rear sprocket deteriorted very quickly at the end. One day it looked near the end of it's life. At the end of the day, 4 teeth fell off.

It's best to replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time.