Sign in to follow this  

I need help with taillight mod...maybe NatetheGreat or someone???

Well, I finally got those two pesky bolts loose that hold the taillight lense to the spacer piece......I heated it up for a few seconds with a propane torch. I think they loctite those bolts!

Anyway, I wante to just remove the spacer like NatetheGreat did. I realize you have to drill 2 new holes to mount it, but I'm confused about how to make it fit as the back of the light socket will hit the mount before you can get it flush. DO you turn the lense assemblt upside down? If so, then what do you do about the reflector being all wrong. Please help! I want to do this right the first time.

Jerry

I cant even really remember everything I did to remove the spacer. If you see the pics of my bike you will notice that the light sticks up a slight angle because of the spacer being gone. Its kinda rigged really but it works fine.

I had to cut a hole for the back of the bulb to have clearance but that was no big deal really.

If you want I can take some pics closeup as I have it off now and have gone to the BD clear LED taillight. :cry:

Thanks Nate for the info. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. If you could get a pic of the backside of it where you drilled the hole I would appreciate it. I did some searching and some people mounted it upsidedown to get the clearance for the socket, but I think I will take your approach and just drill a hole for clearance of the socket. Did you seal up around the hole? I think I'll try to make a little black ABS cap and epoxy it on to waterproof it, unless you did something else?

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Jerry