Sign in to follow this  

1994 Yamaha 350 xt, do you know this Bike?????

Just got the bike, seems to run, start, ride, just great, I think I like this bike,,Paid $1450 with 05 tags, new rear tire, and 5,000 miles, Heard a rumor the engines are some how restricted, any info on the restriction or any maintance tips, or reviews on how you think about the bike would be apreciated, I plan on adjusting the valves and torqueing the head bolts this week end, don't know what else I should do with it, but ride it ,,,LOL

Happy rides

1992 Suzukie 350 dr (had 1 year can be a beotch to start)

1975 Honda 125 xl (I bought this bike brand new when I was 15)

The valve adjustment requires a special tool, creative prying of the springs or removal of the cams. I don't know your skill level, but consider having the shop do it unless you are familiar with shim and bucket valve adjustment. Search on XT350 and you will find several recent threads including the allegedly restricted later motors. Read up on the jetting changes. That is the single best thing I did to mine. Mine lasted through 18 years of abuse. Maintain it well and it will treat you well.

Had my 87 for 16 years, I first checked the valve clearance at 7,000 miles and they were still in spec. I also took the cylinder off for cleaning from some sand injection and only used new gaskets to put it back together. I sold it last year with about 10,000 dualsport miles and it still never burned or leaked a drop of oil! The only mod was mixture screw adj. Now that's a motor! :cry:

It is most likely restricted, I removed the air box snorkle, aftermarket exhaust, that opened her up which helped some but I was unable to get jets for it. Everywhere I tried to get parts for the carb said it was discontinued and could not help me. Otherwise change the oil and ride ..the bike might not be the fastest or have the best suspension but if you treat it well It will run forever with almost no maintence

I had a 86 that I bought new, had it for 14yrs. The only thing I did to it was have the valves adjusted (by a shop), oil changes, brakes, tires, chain and sprocket, nothing else but ride the [@#$%&*!] out of it, had it up close to 100 mph downhill w/ a tailwind (really) the only thing that ever broke on it was the speed-o (not cable) at a little over 10,000 mi. I rode it for 3 more years 3 to 4,000 mi?? sold it (4 yrs ago) and I still see it around town :cry:

Its an emission restriction. all bikes ( or at least Canadian ones ) Co-Inside with california emission Requlations. They still sell the bike over seas in yamaha dealers since there emission restrictions are diffrent from ours..... just a little tid bit of info ...

P.S I could be wrong, but it sounds correct.

If your bike can do 90 mph..it ain't restricted..easiest way to tell :cry:

Hmmm... does that mean my Canadian '92 is then? I had trouble breaking 60mph on my first foray onto the freeway. Kind of dangerous actually, I think if I can't keep up with the slow lane..

Wickedsprint was not joking IMO. Stock my 1986 would easily do 75-80mph. With a pipe, jetting and 1 tooth larger coutershaft sprocket it would redline in 6th which was good for around 90mph. You had to crawl behind the number plate and tuck in for the last 5mph, but it would do it.

OK, so how do I go about derestricting the bike? We have no emissions inspection here for bikes, so that's a non-issue. Anyone have specifics? Jets etc.?

Thanks

Wickedsprint must have less wind resistance than I do. :cry: It is hard to believe Yamaha would detune a bike with that little power to begin with. But this keeps coming up so maybe they did.

There are no electronic anythings on that motor. So it has to be either seriously retarded timing or an air/fuel restriction or some combination of the two. Maybe someone with a shop manual can help you out with the timing. I sold all my stuff earlier this year so I no longer have a shop manual for that bike.

For $0 you can try running it with the airbox cover off. That cover should be drilled full of holes anyway because the snorkel IS a restriction on any year. After all, how often are you going to ride in 3' of water? Mine always came through creek crossings fine even with a swiss cheese airbox.

Mine was rejetted one size larger than stock 1986 for the pilot and main jets. The carb needles were shimmed higher with small washers. The air screw plug was drilled out and was adjusted by a 1/2 turn (I think). And it had a Supertrapp EAR pipe with 5 or 6 disks installed.

With those mods it liked having an extra tooth on the countershaft sprocket to drop the rpms by a couple of hundred. It would still pull redline in top gear like that and it was still low enough for serious off road work. Or at least as serious as the rest of the bike handle that is.

This has been gone over before. Do some searching. It has also been discussed here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha_TT/

haha..I have always been a skinny little [@#$%&*!], I only weighed 150lbs when I owned it, hell if you shifted second gear hard enough it would raise the front tire about a foot and a half and just hold it there until you grabbed third..without tugging on the bars. The acceleration felt faster than my 650l, maybe I just had a good running one?

Actually I agree again. My uncorked XT350 was quicker than my XL600R up to about 40mph - which is roughly first through third gear on the XT. Turn to turn on a very tight trail my XT could handle big red. Add a little distance between those turns though and it got ugly fast. Once the XL gets up a head of steam prepare to eat big roost. I used to chase my XL600 when another guy owned it and he was impressed with the how quick the XT was out of the hole.

Of course if I were to uncork big red the same way I did my XT350 all that would change. And I could die a spectacular and glorious death on the trail when that tractor swats me like a bug. I have learned to appreciate my XL600 NOT hitting hard at low rpms because it keeps me healthy. Just the same, I have been looking at jet kits and pipes and have started the old beast on a weight loss program. :cry:

BTW, a dual sported KX500? You are one sick pup. A guy after my own heart in other words. I need a picture of that.

I will take a picture of it sometime this week, it is being stored in a storage unit right now to keep it out of the elemnts untilI move into my apt with a garage. I say dualsported loosely..it has a headlight..tailight and a license plate..no brake light mirrors or turn signals. We require a brake light but I have not gotten around to wiring it yet.

I never had an XT but I did ride and race an 87 TT350 back in the day. The motors are nearly identical as I recall with the differences being charging system and transmission gear ratios. All the things that others have mentioned, jetting, opening up the airbox, etc will definitely improve performance. However, the biggest improvement on my old TT was to install larger valves. The TT/XT350 was originally a 250 in Japan. When Yamaha brought it to the States they just bored it out to make a 350. Consequently, the valves were severely undersized compared to the Honda XR/XL350 of the same era. If you want to really wake up the motor have oversized valves installed, the mid range and top end really wake up! I believe I sourced my oversize valves from White Bros back in the 80s but any competent performance shop should be able to help you out if you decide to go that way. The only other advice I have is to keep the valves adjusted properly and change the oil OFTEN. They are wet-sump motors and as a consequence the oil can get VERY hot if conditions are right. Enjoy!

I think that the XT350 and TT350 were almost entirely different bikes. I put my XT350 next to a TT350 at the 2003 Shenendoah 500 and it looked like the TT frame, forks, chain, tank, seat, fenders, etc. were all different. The engine looked outwardly similar but who knows what was inside.

I don't think you could get larger valves in my '86 XT350. The clearance to the piston was tiny and there wasn't a whole lot of metal between the valves or plug as you can see below. BTW, that photo and the next also illustrate what happens if the valves get out of adjustment on these things. Note that the hole in the piston looks exactly like a valve turned sideways and that a valve is missing from the head. Coincidence?

You can also see that both exhaust valves had started scuffing the piston just before the hand grenade imitation. A combination of very hard running and slightly out of adjustment valves. Shim and bucket valve adjustment is either expensive or a PITA, but let it slide at your own risk.

graphic_org_pub.jpg

site1020.jpg

grreatdog,

The XT and TT were completely different bikes. I thought the motors were basically the same. After seeing your pictures, I recall there being a lot more room in my old TT350 head. I checked the online Yamaha parts catalogs choosing the 1987 model years for comparison and the cranks, rods, cylinders, pistons are the same part numbers for both the TT and the XT. But not the heads. Beats me why they would be different. Emissions probably. Of course I doubt anyone carries oversize valves for the TTs anymore anyways.

The heads are pretty fragile on XT350's. For a true dirt bike, they probably went with something a little stronger. I always lusted after those TT's back in the '80's. They were good looking bikes for their time. Since my bike was my primary means of transportation, I never could justify one.

What is the difference between the XT and RT models? I have an 89 RT350 and it looks exactly like the XT350....Wondering which parts I can salvage off of an XT/TT because my bike needs a few things.