head lamp set-up tips needed

I'm 90% MX and 10% woods. I would like to convert my CR250 to a woods bike for winter and would like to be able to run a head lamp. I know that Moose makes a lighting "element" that runs under the stator but I plan to sell the bike in the spring and don't want to invest $150+ for the generator part. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on head lamps that run on batteries as I only plan to use it in emergencies.

Which (if any) lighting units will run on batteries alone? How long do the batteries generally last? I'm thinking of units like the Aceribis DHH.

Thrity-three hits and not one hint. Somebody throw me a bone here. I'm getting the impression that I've just asked a stupid question comparable to "Where does the reed cage go on my CRF450?".

Doesn't somebody make a decent battery-operated head lamp?

From digging around I only find that they are 12 volt but not even the manufacter's sites stated what the power sourse could/should be.

Please help.

I've looked at this situation as well for the same reasons (do I want to add to my CRF150 if I'm selling it)

All the headlight kits I've seen need to be hard wired. How much output does your stator have? I'm not sure what year your CR250 is, some have 45w some had 80w. How much you have may let you know if you can just add a light, and what the max wattage of that light could be, or whether you have to rewind the stator (still better anyway).

There are helmet light kits as well but the good ones are REALLY pricey:

http://www.niterider.com/prod_ohv.html

I have used an Acerbis headlight that mounts to the forks with rubber straps. And on my YZ I used a project box (for electronic projects from radio shack) with a battery holder mounted inside. The holder held 8 'AA' batteries (12v). I used ni-cad rechargable batteries and a switch to turn the light on and off.

I never used the light for riding but it was there in case the ranger stopped me and asked to see my light work. It did work. I mounted the project box right behind the headlight where the number plate area was. It all just strapped on and was self contained. Easy to change back to the number plate for track riding.

It kept me legal ? Is this what you are looking for ?

Cyclops makes a great helmet light, you can get is set up for bike power or battery power. They told me the battery powered version is actually brighter, and I am very happy with the bike powered version, so that's saying something. ?