Sign in to follow this  

RMZ oil change

Trying not to sound too ignorant but there are 2 drain plugs in the crankcase on my sons 2005 RMZ250,is it necessary to remove both during an oil change :cry:

No you don't, The main sump plug is the larger of the two, It's not a bad idea to periodically remove the smaller one occasionally, but be carefull it is easily stripped out, The smaller one is the drain at your screens. Some may disagree Its ok I can accept that. I will carry the burden.There are no stupid questions when it pertains to spending your money.

I only drained the front plug like the first 2-3 oil changes. Since then I empty it about every 5th oil change. You also don't need to change the filter every oil change. I only change the filter about every 10 hours.

Every 10 hours for the filter, would that mean every other oil change? I agree with doing it every other time I dunno how often you guys change your oil but I do mine every 2 tanks of gas which comes out to be about every 5 hours. Art, while you do have a point that it isn't neccessary to remove the smaller drain plug, I always do it anyway because there may be a little bit of oil and metal shavings that stay in there if it isn't removed. In my opinion, it is worth the extra 1 minute to take it out and put it on for peace of mind. As you mentioned it is very easy to strip out, it will not bottom out against anything so you'll want to keep turning it, resist that temptation. Also, when changing the filter make sure you drain the coolant first (don't wanna create a big mess) and pull off the rad cap to let air in there. The coolant shoots out very fast and quite far and it is very difficult to control the rate with the drain plug.

I changed my plug yesterday and have a question. Does the plug bottom out noticeably? I didnt want to tighten it until it stoped because i had a feeling i might be striping it. What's up?

make sure the washer is on it when u put it back in. It has a bad habit of not coming off with the bolt but rather sticking to the case before falling into whatever u are draining the oil into. This happened to me and I put the bolt back in without the washer, I over tightened it and stripped out the case.

the large bolt will bottom out noticeably. The small one won't, when it mates with the case, give it an extra 3/4 turn and you'll be fine.

I changed my plug yesterday and have a question. Does the plug bottom out noticeably? I didnt want to tighten it until it stoped because i had a feeling i might be striping it. What's up?

Let me clarify myself... I changed the SPARK PLUG. Does it stop tightening when it is in all the way? It felt like it was acting up on me.

Yes, I did the same thing yesterday. Just keep tightening it gently and it will bottom out. I think some of the carbon gets up on the threads and causes the resistance.

Actually on the spark plug the washer is a crush washer and crushes a little bit as you install a new one, that is why it feels like it is stripping, there is a bit of resistance for a turn or so as the washer crushes.

Awesome guys! SOme actual good replies! Thanks

Oh btw, my bike starts ALOT better with the new plug. THe electrode on the older plug (12hours) was worn down a bit compared to the new plug. Either that helped the starting or i blew the cob-webs out of her.

zmann, i noticed the same thing; my bike would almost stall when I started it. put a new plug in there and she starts in 3-4 kicks now no problem. Used to be 8-9 kicks.