Sign in to follow this  

new chain

whats the best and easiest way to put the master link on an xring chain. i was tryin vise grips holding it in the middle and plyers on each side squeezing down but i cant get it to pop on

whats the best and easiest way to put the master link on an xring chain. i was tryin vise grips holding it in the middle and plyers on each side squeezing down but i cant get it to pop on

I keep an extra 'face plate' and file out the holes so it slips over the pins easy. Then I place it over the stock faceplate and press the stocker in place (with a c' clamp). The modified plate falls off and the spring clip can be installed.

I had the same problem, until I realized the link sent with my x-ring chain was a rivet link, which wont alow the use of a c-clip retainer. The simple solution was to use the face plate off my standard chain to allow the use of the c-clip retainer. Remove the link and see if the face plate allows the prongs to pass thru fully. If it dosent, a standard face plate will have to be used in order to use the clip. Dont forget to grease the o-rings before you put it together.