Sign in to follow this  

Holy Rebound Damping, Batman!

I've been sort of 'overhauling' my bike this week, the best I am able, with what I've learned here & my manual in hand...so, I went to check & see where my suspension damping settings were, as I've never actually backed it all the way in then seen where they were at, a friend adjusted them for me one day at the track & I played with it a little from there...then another friend rode it the other day and said it felt 'funny' to him, so I figured I'd take a look...

What did I find? My compression damping in the shock was 14... ok, I've been clicking out lately, jumping higher, etc, lets set that at 13. (Yes, I know, I'm breaking the cardinal rule, no testing unless you can ride it immediately, and only change one thing... but, I THOUGHT my rebound damping was at 12, as I used to not like the 'pop' the rear would give me in whoops... now I 'knew better' and my intentions were to bring them closer together...)

So what was my rebound damping? 8!!! :cry: I've been riding around with my compression at 14 clicks out, and my rebound damping at 8 clicks out!! :cry::lol: :lol: Oh, my god, can we say 'compression packing'...? :cry::cry: I set it now at 13 compression, 11 rebound damping... I know they should be equal, but I'm going to feel a BIG change next time I ride, I think! No WONDER I never felt I got the preload right in my jumping! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry:

just noticed you have my old aviatar.

Oo, I thought I stole it from V908... :cry: They didn't LIKE my other 'buns' guy 'cause he wasn't wearing a thong, and if the ladies they put up had to be wearing a thong they thought my guys did, too... only fair, I guess! So V908 offered up this guy! So now I have two men in thongs in my gallery!! :cry:

Hey, is this Metzger or Deegan? I can't remember...? :cry:

Actually your setting can be all over the place AND right. Depends on what you are doing and what you are trying to get out of your suspension. Don't think that because you have them in the same range it is right?

Suspension is very misunderstood and and the same time one of this best performance mods you can make to your bike. Do yourself a favor and learn all you can about it. This is one area on a bike large improvements can be made. Cracks me up every time I see some dude with a $900 pipe on his CRF450 and stock suspension.

:cry:

Cracks me up every time I see some dude with a $900 pipe on his CRF450 and stock suspension.

Oh YEAH!?!?!?!? Oh YEAH!?!?!?!? oh, oh yeh.. :cry:

I cant wait for all the cries of woe from the 05 yamaha owners that dont bother to read the manual this year. They flipped the forks over on us.

Used to be the base valves was on the bottom and you adjusted compression at the axle. Now you'll be adjusting rebound there.

"Mike bike keeps doing a superman off of the jumps and I cant figure out why?" :cry:

The cardinal rule is don't adjust your suspension before setting your sag.

The other important factor is whether you have the right spring rates or not. You can look this up on one of the suspension websites or give them a call. Setting the sag will tell you this too but it's just easier to look it up.

I ordered new springs from Factory Connection as soon as I bought my bike, told them where I ride and what skill level, they sent me the springs and all of the settings I should run it at. Changing them out was easy and I'm extremely happy with the setup.

As far as the clickers go, I think mine are set to 10 compression and 16 rebound. So you can see, they may not be anywhere near one another.

Best bet is to leave the settings stock and we can adjust your sag at El Cajon on Saturday if you want.

I really dont think that 'rebound should be about the same as compression' is a very good rule of thumb. Best bet if you arent sure of what your doing is to set the rebound close to factory and play with the compression settings.

The cardinal rule is don't adjust your suspension before setting your sag.

The other important factor is whether you have the right spring rates or not. You can look this up on one of the suspension websites or give them a call. Setting the sag will tell you this too but it's just easier to look it up.

I ordered new springs from Factory Connection as soon as I bought my bike, told them where I ride and what skill level, they sent me the springs and all of the settings I should run it at. Changing them out was easy and I'm extremely happy with the setup.

As far as the clickers go, I think mine are set to 10 compression and 16 rebound. So you can see, they may not be anywhere near one another.

Best bet is to leave the settings stock and we can adjust your sag at El Cajon on Saturday if you want.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check it, thanks! I did have a friend who races adjust it for me early on... stock, the bike wasn't too bad for me, I'm 5'10", 155 lbs, maybe a LITTLE lighter than your average guy they anticipated riding that bike, but not much! :lol:

I know I didn't like the 'kick' in the pants the bike gave me at first (I was taught how to ride on a old bike where the suspension was pretty 'sprung') so I think I thought tightening the rebound so it didn't bounce back was a GOOD thing... wasn't until last weekend I heard the phrase 'compression packing', and had that explained to me! Not that I ever really noticed, but again, I bet thats also why I could never figure out how to pre-load the suspension on the smaller jumps... :cry:

I'm looking forward to trying it out! :cry: And making some adjustments, never a bad idea... you're rebound is WAY softer than your compression, is that probably because of how high/far you jump? :cry: :cry: We'll have to chat more about this suspension stuff at El Cajon, for sure, I'm curious now! :cry: