Sign in to follow this  

Tail gate extender

My family just picked up a new truck and the first thing i did was loaded my bike up to see how she looked. The rear wheel comes out to about the end of the truck. (04' chevy quad cab 1500) I am looking into buying a bed extender that straps onto the truck instead of drilling holes. Anyone purchased one and if so how do you like it?

----------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier

plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

My friend has a bed extender for his truck that folds flat into a loading ramp...

I'll ask him what company made it but maybe you could do a google search :cry:

Ready Ramp makes a bed extender/loading ramp. I've had one for a few years and it's great. You can get one at rockymountainatv.com for about $250.

check out www.schucks.com they have them for about 70.00 bucks i have one works great ....ok after checking the website i couldnt' find it but it is a bed extender/ loading ramp and i know that seams really cheap but they have them ...i'll check the company name

I'll have to try the procedure outlined above, but I still doubt I'll be able to close the tailgate.

Anybody w/ a Tacoma able to haul a bike w/ tailgate up?

Maybe a stupid question but what is wrong with just leaving the tail gate down? :cry:

Gotcha! :cry: I'm spoiled with a F350 crew cab! :cry:

I'll have to try the procedure outlined above, but I still doubt I'll be able to close the tailgate.

I've got a Tacoma double-cab and although my bike fits, the tailgate must be down. Even then it's pretty close. I don't mind having the tailgate down to move my bike. If I take both bikes, I have a trailer that hauls them nicely.

I have a Tacoma X-cab and I can close the tailgate with one bike if I turn the bike diagonally, but barely. With the slightly shorter bed of a quad cab, the tailgate wouldn't close.

My Frontier closes with one bike with room to spare. 6 more inches and it would close with two. Ah well.

I just leave it down, and run a strap through my gearbags to keep them from flying away.

The ready ramp tail-gate extender is the best thing going.

Combines two things into one useful item.

Kinda spendy, but worth it.

Nevertheless, FlyingGuitars showed me the proper way to strap down a bike in the bed allowing me to then lift up the back of the bike and turn it inward to fit in the truck completely.

I do the same thing with my Mazda B3000. The bike fits in the bed with room to spare. You can only this if you're hauling 1 bike, though...

Roll bike into bed. Turn wheel to left as far as it will go. Push front wheel of bike into the front-left corner of the bed (behind driver). Wheel ends up being almost parallel with the front of the bed, but not quite. Swing rear wheel over to the right-rear corner of the bed and close the lift gate. Move rear wheel back in the other direction until it's flush up against the closed lift gate.

First tie-down goes from right handlebar to the hook in the right-front corner of the bed. Second tie down goes from left handlebar to hook in the rear-left corner of the bed.

Tighten 'em both down, and that bike isn't going anywhere!

I bought a utility trailer when I first started riding because we had 2 bikes then, and the idea of loading directly into the truck intimidated me. Now with just 1 bike, straight into the truck is SOOOO much better than dealing with the trailer...

Anyone want to buy a trailer?

Gotcha! :cry: I'm spoiled with a F350 crew cab! :cry:

<font color="navy">Ditto that. I've got a F350 crew cab with the extended bed. Today, I'm loading up four bikes (two facing forward, two to the rear) for a weekend trip -- I've packed in five once, but that was sure an exercise in creative packing! Hmmmm, I wonder how many I could squeeze in if I got a bed extender! :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the Tacoma reply. I'll have to try it w/ the tailgate up next time. Mine's an X-tra cab so it should work. I don't have a problem hauling w/ the tailgate down, other than the PIA of having to strap down everything else to keep it from blowing or sliding out of the bed. I'd just like the convenience of being able to slam the tailgate closed and be done w/ it.

My truck has a 8 foot long bed, so I never have any problems. :cry:

My friend has a 90 Silverado stepside and has his bike in with the tailgate up. Just throw the bike to one corner, and tie the strap on the side that pulls straight down. Lean the bike over a lot and tie it down. Hook up the other strap and pull the sike to set it straight. Put the tire on the other corner and there you go...

Leaning the bike over and tying down the strap that goes straight down, allows you to have this strap already tightened, because once the bike is tied down, you cannot tie that strap anymore...

You can close the tailgate and rest the rear wheel of 2 bikes ON the tailgate edge. Both bikes loaded straight in. Yes it puts some stress on the tailgate, but it also frees up the bed under the bikes for lots of stuff. The bikes help keep things from flying out. I don't do this but have seen it done. A strap across the back keeps the wheels from sliding sideways if you're a wild driver. Make a small stool or stand from 2x4 to rest the rear wheels on if you don't want that stress on the tailgate. Just another option.

Kent

The '05 chevy colorado quad cabs come with a dual position locking tailgate. That means that you just have two attatchment points on the tail gate cable instead of one.

My bike comes to the very edge of the tail gate. I just strap the front down as normal, get out and lift up on the tail gate enough to catch the second latch then i put a strap across the back tire to keep the back end from hopping. It also helps to remember to put the bike in gear...... If not, the tire has a tendency to rotate and you loose the tension on your strap.

reason #352 I'm glad I have a long bed :cry:

<font color="navy">Yup, here's my F350 long bed after unloading two bikes (I forgot to take the picture when it was fully loaded). Plenty of room for the toys...

HVOct2004_001_sml.jpg

Long bed trucks are great for hauling bikes around. The problem is, I'll go riding (and drive my truck) a few times a month but I drive and park almost every day of my life when I go to work in LA. Parking is tight in the city and I'd rather park a shortbed.