Sign in to follow this  

New Valves installed, need to reshim.

Got my new intake setup from RHC, thanks Ron, got the new stuff lapped and installed..

Checking the clearances, this is what I came up with:

Right intake has a 162 pad(.0640"/1.625mm), clearance was .004"/.102mm, close, but not perfect.

Left intake has a 168 pad(.0659"/1.675mm) and its clearance was .003"/.076mm, not close to the .006+/- .001.

Now, is there a way to get this right the first time, I know the shims will have to be smaller/thinner, I gotta ride this weekend, weekends are for roosting, not playing mechanic!! This is my first valve job(funny to say that), LOL, so be easy on me if i got this all mixed up.

thanks.

left shim (will fit the .006 feeler a bit loose)

14913-MBB-000 .0591in 1.50mm

Right shim (will fit the .006 a little loose)

14916-MBB-000 .0620in 1.575mm

thats how I would do it...some people would run the next size larger but I wouldnt...as long as you are .006 +/-.001 you are good and the above shims will be.

thanks kritter,

with a clear head, no beers involved, all I had to do was take difference in the clearances and subtract it from the installed pad, not to difficult, and thanks for the help!!

thats how I would do it...some people would run the next size larger but I wouldnt...as long as you are .006 +/-.001 you are good and the above shims will be.

How did you get the # for the LT shim?

RT- 1.575

LT- 1.60

I was wondering about that, I did the math this morning and I came out with a little different number for the left also.

maybe a typo?

Got the shims this morning and skipped a little work, checked the clearances and oddly enough both sides are at

.005", I know its .006 +/- .001, I was under the impression a little looser would be better? Should I get the next smaller/thinner shims to get there, or would it be OK as is?

How did you get the # for the LT shim?

RT- 1.575

LT- 1.60

brain fade! I have all of them in an excel spreadhseet and I did the math next to the 1.50 and cut and pasted that cell...it came out to a 1.598...I would go the one below that rather then the 1.60...

good thing you guys are on the ball!!!

and after you put them in they were still .005"...thats why I always go to the next size smaller shim!

thanks for all the help guys, now that I understand all this stuff, and learned how to lap valves to boot, what can I work on next!!!!!!!!!!

I'll ride it this weekend, but will probably opt for the shims that will get it on the loose side of the tolerances!!

They will probably tighten up after you run it anyway.

I would run it like that and then check them again after you break it in.

We were running the intakes @ .002-.003 with the stock cam in the dirt trackers just trying to get some more top end by keeping the valve open longer .you can always run a valve tight if you can get the bike started its when you run the valves to loose and the bucket is actully contacting the flank of the cam when problems can ocur . the suzuki gs series bike spec for the valve clearance on the intake used to be .001-.003 .Ron