Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250F as a first bike?

OK, before you judge me to be an insane Mo-Fo with a death wish:

-I have ridden bikes before ranging from xr 50s to old Yamaha XR 550s and 600s. I have raced tricked out supermoto xr 100s with tons of success (meaning I'm not in the hospital)

- I'm 5'8", 140 pounds and growing fast.

-I will be doing mostly woods and open fields riding with the occasional mx day.

-I'm afraid if I get a TTR 125, I will outgrow it in a matter of months.

- Above all I realise the risks involved with the YZ as a first bike but I want to know what other people think.

jake28

I would say the 250F would be a great choice for you. One thing if you really "will be doing mostly woods and open fields riding" you may be better off with the WR. Depends on how much motocross you will be doing.

My son started with a CR80RB. By the time he had physically outgrown it, he had nowhere near truly mastered it. I bought our YZ250F for him when he was 13 years old, 5'10" and 140lbs. It was the best decision I ever made about anything other than whether to have a kid or not.

The YZ250F is one of the easiest to ride motorcycles I have ever been on, and because it is a "real" racing four-stroke, it is far more forgiving than any comparable two-stroke I could have put him on. In the first month, he had improved more than in the previous ten.

Go for it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

BTW, his name's Jake, too.

The YZ250F will be a fine choice for you. I had ridden dirtbikes before in the past, but my '04 250F was my first bike that was actually MINE. It took me some time to get used to the grunty power, but i was completely satisfied with my purchase and now its got LOTS of mods to have fun with on the track. Also, try considering a WR250F if you are going to be doing alot of woods riding...both are good for either though. Good luck.

-I'm afraid if I get a TTR 125, I will outgrow it in a matter of months.

Jake, you have already outgrown it.

I could not agree more with the other guys here. WR or YZ will be a fine bike for you. :cry: