Sign in to follow this  

I drowned my bike, need some advice

Was out at Croom today. The bowl has become a lake because of all the rain from the hurricanes. I tried to get to an island where two riding buddies were and I found a hole and drowned by bike up to the seat. It shut off and I pushed it out on to dry land. Water was pouring out of my airbox. After draining all that I could, I got it started,ran it for a couple of minutes and pulled the dipstick. White oil, of course. took it home and drained the oil/water from the engine, cleaned the airfilter and oil filter and then changed the oil 3 times(ran it for 3 min between changes). I am going to clean the carb tomorrow.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to make sure that this doesn't wind up ruining my engine?

Oh yeah, there was some sand involved as well.

Help me save my baby!!!

it sounds like you have done pretty well every thing.if your happy that the oil is clean.then take it for a ride (for a least 20mins) this should get it warm enough to get rid of moisture that may still be in the engine.the other thing you may want to check is wheel bearings and the swing arm bearings.

start it and let it warm up and change the oil again. A couple of times. That sand is more like silt, if it got in there you need to flush it a couple of times.

Hah,

Sorry to hear you drowned it. I was out at croom last weekend, and was really tempted to try to get out to one of them. Lol, Im glad I didn't try to at this point. :cry:

Sorry to hear about drowing your bike espcially after all that recent work you done. In addition to what you've done, I would clean all of your electrical connections with contact cleaner and then use electrical grease to prevent the contacts from corroding. Repack all bearings. PM me if you want.

you MUST and I mean MUST take out the spark plug and spray some WD-40 in your cylinder...you are running a high risk of your piston seizing to your cylinder. After that, drain the fluids, flush them out, and MAKE sure you take your head pipe off and get the water out of the exhaust...

Well I think she's going to be okay. I have changed the oil countless times,letting the engine run for a few minutes each time. Cleaned the carb,wheel bearings, airbox and filters. Everything seems to be working just fine. Thank you for your replies, they helped. I'm riding again this Thursday (Croom) I gues that will be my final report card.