Sign in to follow this  

clearance with 52T rear sprocket

will i run into any problems when i put my new rear sprocket on in terms of clearance with the chain guide, and stuff? i have been running stock gearing, and i don't have my wheel back from eastcoast yet, so i was just wondering what you guys think..... :excuseme:thanks

A few of us from the Southwest forum are getting together to do Trail 6 at Foresthill in a few weeks and I'm thinking I probably need to change my gearing (running stock 13/48 now). I'd rather just throw a 12 on the front since it's easier and I know I won't have to change my chain length, but I'm a little worried about using such a small countershaft sprocket. Any thoughts? Other option, obviously, is to put a 51 or 52 on the back; will I need to add links to my chain? I'm only 2 or 3 index marks from all the way back with the 48t rear so I have a fair amount of adjustment to play with. Either way I won't use this setup very often, so I'll just get some of those solid steel $15 sprockets.

when i go ride moab slickrock, i put a 12 up front. it is harder on stuff, but like you said its much easier to do. i think that you might be able to get away with putting a bigger sprocket on the back since you are that far back on your adjustment. its pushing it though. :cry:

You won't have enough adjustment to get a 51 on there w/o adding links.

That's why it's good to buy a long chain and cut it so you have extra links laying around.

You won't have enough adjustment to get a 51 on there w/o adding links.

That's why it's good to buy a long chain and cut it so you have extra links laying around.

okay, thanks Fred. Any thoughts on running the 12t CS sprocket instead?

I've never tried the 12T front so I can't really comment on it. That does seem like a lot of stress on a small sprocket but I've read where guys have done it.

If I was doing it I would put a larger sprocket on the rear.

More hassle but no worries.