Sign in to follow this  

My bike wasn't as fast as I'd thought it'd be

I borowed my brothers GPS and toped my bike out at around 61-62mph. When the time comes to get new sprokets, I'll get a smaller on on the back for more speed. I know, you gotta have torque and exceleration but its just not fun on the open trails with not much top speed 😢

Alot of people are surprised when they verify with a gps, shoot with 14/50 gearing at this elevation (6100 feet) bone stock my KX500 is screaming to make 80 mph...ask any mullet how fast a kx500 goes they will prolly say a 100 LOL

Either 500 will have room..right now on dirt roads below 60 mph if you whack it open the ass end is all over the place...fun as hell to do 5th gear power slides at 60 mph..LOL That alone tells me it can pull taller gearing..especially when it is hitting top speed in less than a block or so on pavement.

it's slow cuz it's a honda, just yanking ur chain. U gotta regear em. They don't wanna make em too fast for those idiots who are learning to ride. My rmz does 83 on pavement. All stock.

ha! wait until you say that about an 05 yz450f. Then see how people react. I thought they were going to burn me at the stake there for a while. 😢

it's slow cuz it's a honda, just yanking ur chain.

I'll put my Honda up against your bike for pink slips! 😢

I sold my Husky TE610 to a guy that was clocked doing 120+ mph in the NV desert before he shattered his rear hub.

I sold it cause I couldn't start it after doing some engine mods that took it from a whimpy stock 34hp to 70hp at the rear wheel!

Pretty much ported everything (carb too), hi compression piston, single one piece ring that look the compression to over 12:1 (stock was 9.5:1 I think?), removed the auto decpression release to get 5hp (big mistake, too hard to start, had ot use a BIG hill, or a tow), custom exhust, KTM wobbly foot adjusters, etc. etc.

Anyone that wants one built like that, see HRT Racing in Chico, CA. I'd start with a newer E-start model though, you'll loose alot of CC's so less HP, but at least it will be usuable.

The old Husky's don't turn, but they go straight really fast. My YZ450 or KTM 525 are snail's compared to that beast. OH, they don't have a couter balancer either, so they SHAKE pretty good, but less weight to move, so they can get some good HP in them.

Back to your orig post, or a 225 if you gear it up it will be a dog. Not enough torque to pull tall gears. Conversily if you massively gear up a CR500 or KX500 they are a lot easier to ride as it smooths the power out.

Just find rougher trails and you won't need to go 60mph.

Dang CRFboy,

We must ride different kind of trails. I am not sure I have ever had my TTR 225 in 6th gear. I know I am old, but how fast do you want to ride on trails? I don't want to be riding 65mph with trees whizzing by my head.

this post is stupid! its a ttr what did u expect? they arent race bikes. with mods you can make a 125 2 stroke do 80mph with still decent acceleration. a ttr is a trail bike remeber that.

Hmm, 650 vs. 250; I'll take an r6 against you. Kinda like a ferrari vs. a corvette.

😢 :cry: or a Ferrari VS a chevette 😢 :cry:

Hmm, 650 vs. 250; I'll take an r6 against you. Kinda like a ferrari vs. a corvette.

😢 :cry: or a Ferrari VS a chevette 😢 :cry:

Hey! I had to give it a shot! I need a lighter bike. Even though I'm 6'7 250 the weight of this bike still kicks my a$$. 😢🤣

It is all in the gearing of the bike. You could gear a CR500 to hit 40mph or 100mph. Gearing is key, and top speed isnt that important any way. The TTR has a toqurey little engine, if you wanted to gear it tall it is easly possible. Go up a size or to on the C/S sproket and a couple smaller on the rear. I have only topped my my bike out once and was buzzing along for a long time, but was goin pleanty fast. Normaly max for a ride is a short stent of 45ish. You need to find some tighter trails slower trails where the TTR is happy, or re-gear your bike and stop complaining. 😢

which one is easier? finding trails to suit the bike or gearing the bike to suit the trails? I'm gonna go with gearing cuz I didn't see any trails for sale in my dennis kirk catalog.

Dang CRFboy,

We must ride different kind of trails. I am not sure I have ever had my TTR 225 in 6th gear. I know I am old, but how fast do you want to ride on trails? I don't want to be riding 65mph with trees whizzing by my head.

I ride on the open trails between plant fields (farm land) so theirs not alot of tight turns or anything like that. Its actually pretty fun going fast on a trail like the ones I ride on. Sometimes you'll go over little hills that can sorta launch you in the air.

Dang CRFboy,

I ride on the open trails between plant fields (farm land) so theirs not alot of tight turns or anything like that. Its actually pretty fun going fast on a trail like the ones I ride on. Sometimes you'll go over little hills that can sorta launch you in the air.

I agree with browngw, most woods trails are 1st 2nd 3rd gear stuff with some fire roads to cruise in between to regroup and get second wind.

Thats what i love about our sport, i can have fun off-road on a motorcycle and get the same adrenalin kick as if i was doing 100 mph on-road but not as disastrous in an off, been there done that.

Any wooded trail areas nearby?

We had a younger guy on a TTr ride with us last summer, no probs keeping up and he wants to do it again 😢