Sign in to follow this  

radiator guards are they critiical?

Do any of you guys seem to notice these bikes get damaged radiators fairly easy compared to other bike and who makes the best guards for the rads? :cry:

crashing just means you need to buy more parts and try harder the guards help only to protect the ol pocket book from being ravage by a drzilla going nuts. thanks for the reply :cry: :cry:

I don't know if the radiators bend/break easily or not. I knew I'd drop my 'S' more than a few times so why take the chance. I put on guards shortly after buying her.

Gotta remember that they are $300 big ones per side to replace :cry:. If ya ride sanely on the street only prob could get away without em but if ya do any dirt runnin better get them and case covers, CFC, otherwise you will be back on this board doing the :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

A friend of mine had the tiedown snap on his DRZ-S while doing 70+ on Interstate 70. The bike flipped off of the trailer and was dragged by the other tiedown until he could stop the truck. The radiator wasn't even touched.

He rides that bike pretty hard and consequently, crashes pretty well on occasion. The radiators have never needed guards. Maybe he's just lucky.

I would guess that the tie down held the front end (radiator area) up and most of the hit/drag was more to the rear of the bike. :cry: In conclusion I would have to say he was indeed lucky. :cry: The radiators on these as in any water cooled bike are fairly delicate, to each there own but I would have to say radiator guards and case guards are the first thing you get period. The CFC case guards already saved me from having to use JB weld. :cry: :cry:

$85 for unabiker rad guards?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't wait another minute to order yours~!~~~~~!!!!!

on my third ride I highsided and crushed the right side rad on a rock. Get some guards or you will be buying a new radiator for $300 + :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've seen busted radiators from hard impacts and from simple lay-overs. On a water-cooed bike, it's the most likely way to end you day early. One trip to Mylers radiator repair almost pays for a set of Unabikers.

I learned this on day number 2 of riding my WR about 2 years ago.

It's a water cooled bike,, it has radiators,, yes it needs to have them protected, just like any other water cooled bike.. You will always hear somebody say, I never have a problem with XYZ,, same as you will here,, I always have a problem with xyz....... Does not change the fact that the majority will need to address the issue.

The rad guard from Unibiker Racing are simply the best on the market for the DRZ IMHO.

I was hauling my DRZ on my trailer coming home from riding one evening and my strap broke aswell! It was dark so i had to tap the brake to see it ! Well i tapped the brake one time and no DRZ! Needles to say My stomach turned and I nearly soiled my self.When i stopped, the bike was laying half off the trailer and the unprotected Radiator was the only thing that DiD get smashed! Pretty good too. Took me a day to straighten it back plus I had to make special tools to do it. I now have the guards! Get the guards!Oh and did I mention get the guards? :cry:

The Unabiker radiator guards are not the best IMHO....

They are the Best Period.... opinions meen nothing...

Haha in this case its true, they are technically better than any other guard. Opinion doesnt even factor in.

Cant count the amount of times i've laid,thrown, bailed, bashed,ghost rid, etc on my DRZfo and have never had any radiator damage. thats why I LUVMYDRZ. I Have and still do own several different motorcycles and the FACT IS: THE DRZ 400 IS DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, FOR WHAT IT DOES, THE BEST DAMN BIKE EVER PRODUCED. :cry: Mike in Modesto

The Unabiker radiator guards are not the best IMHO....

They are the Best Period.... opinions meen nothing...

Opinions are all he can get unless someone has designed and developed a scientific study using all available guards. I know this has not happened because I know of at least on guard that I have never heard anything about on this forum.

I replaced my left radiator after having my bike for about a year at the cost of about $160. After that I bought and installed the Devol radiator gaurds. I have had them on for about 3 years know. The radiator gaurds have been hit hard quite a few times. I have even taken the guards off a couple of times to straighten them. I have not replaced another radiator yet. Just guessing without them I would have wrecked atleast 4 or 5 radiators.

Any aftermarket guard is better than no guard! With Unibiker bringing his prices down to reasonable rates it makes it a bit easier to lean toward his product now! I've checked them out on Panamans bike and they are no doubt unequalled in all aspects of the word protection! :cry: