Sign in to follow this  

Swing Arm bearings shot...

Bad creaking sound just started from suspension 1/4 mile from the truck on my 2000 DRZ400. Back at the garage I took the linkage apart and greased it up, still had the problem. Isolated the swingarm and there's where the noise was coming from. Pulled the swing arm bolt, dropped the swing arm and woof, powder came out where the bearings once were. Geeze, has it been that long since I greased the zerks?

Anyone ever R&Red these before? What has to be replaced and is there a good place to get all the parts or should I just go to my dealer? Do I need to have someone press "things" out and in or can I get them in with normal garage tools?

Thanks, DK

What you will probably find is the inner seals (the ones next to the engine) were pushed out of the seal bore by the grease from the grease fittings. That is what happens when the Zirk fittings are used. Without seals, water and dirt gets in and destroys the bearings. Check out All Balls and Pivot Works bearing kits. You will need everything: 4 seals, 4 bearings, 2 thrust bearings sets, 2 seal spacers and 2 bearing sleeves. Remove and plug the Zirk fitting holes so you don't use them again. Make press tools to remove and replace the needle bearings. Use some 3/8 all thread and nuts and correct size sleeves to make a bearing press. You will ruin the new bearings if you hammer in with a punch. Sometimes you can find sockets the right size to press bearings.