LC4 400 Riders

Riding the 400, we are all aware that set ups and mods are likelly to differ a bit from the 640.

So i would suggest that we could start a helpfull topic where 400 riders can find usefull information rather trying to match their lc4 with other 400 set ups.

Please state your bike's mods and driving prefferences.

Thank You

Mat46

This should be a short thread seein' as though there only seems to be 4 or 5 LC4 400 riders in the world from what I can tell. '98 RXCe400, Edelbrock w/ vent and Accel pump upgrade. Stock pipe w/ no discs. Kenda Trackmasters. Hey, it's a short list, but it's not like we have alot to choose from.....

-TF

• Like 1

Thanks Terry,

I know that we are a bit rare and furthermore i can tell you that i might be the only one in the world who rides the 400 with a akra full system. People at ktm still can not believe how it worked.

The reason that i started this topic is that the 640 runs diffirent with diffirent displacement, where the rfs 400 runs also different although it has the same 89/64.

So what can we do? One solution is to visit the dyno, however the numbers on the dyno are not always the best results on the street or dirt.

My mods:

Lc4 400 EGS 1999 - supermoto wheels-Akra ti system-K&N airfilter (modi airbox - open top and side cover)- FCR 39 (obemr#3, main:175, Pilot:48, FS:1 3/4)

Thanks

Mat46

Thanks Terry,

I know that we are a bit rare and furthermore i can tell you that i might be the only one in the world who rides the 400 with a akra full system. People at ktm still can not believe how it worked.

The reason that i started this topic is that the 640 runs diffirent with diffirent displacement, where the rfs 400 runs also different although it has the same 89/64.

So what can we do? One solution is to visit the dyno, however the numbers on the dyno are not always the best results on the street or dirt.

My mods:

Lc4 400 EGS 1999 - supermoto wheels-Akra ti system-K&N airfilter (modi airbox - open top and side cover)- FCR 39 (obemr#3, main:175, Pilot:48, FS:1 3/4)

**** What is the "obemr#3" you refer to above? Also what setting did you settle on for the accel pump?

Thanks

obemr is the needle- #3 is the clip position

There is no ac. pump mod to my fcr. i tried once to set it to 1 1/2 sec but the bike becomes very short. it mostly help those who ride enduro. i personally prefer supermoto and i decided to leave the ac. pump as it is.

I dont know guys how long are you planning to keep your bikes but going for an fcr is like riding a new bike. I personally have this bike since 2000 and i am planning to go for the lc8.

However, the fcr with a good choice of exhaust can make your bike very powerfull. Dynotest on mine showed 43,5 hp at rear wheel - a number that it is not bad for the 400-

I guess since we are so few, I might as well join the crowd. My machine:

1994 400 exc

Stock carb (DellOrto PH38)

Supertrapp external disk with 15 disks +/-

No airbox lid...until I make one

Pirelli MT21 F:80-100-21 R:140-80-18

Baja Designs DS kit, with upgraded 55/100 bulb

Acerbis handguards with turn signals

Ken Sean mirrors

Impressions:

Bike is fun to ride, even though it's heavy and goes plenty fast enough to get me in trouble:)

Well, I'll join in on this one.

Own a 400SXC and the bike has been very reliable for me so far.Not to much you can get for aftermarket parts for these.

I have installed a Big Gun exhaust system that really helps out the mid-top revs,does nothing for the low end.The old air box has been opened up.

Stainless oil filters, and the latest bolt-on parts I have installed were the Fastway Footpegs that are so very nice compared to the stock units.However kinda spendy since you have to get the 04' 625sxc footpeg mount for the left side but in the end it's well worth the money for these floorboards.

Been looking into the FCR carb thing, but still trying to play around with the stock BST40 carb.

I was thinking of putting the stock silencer back on with the Big Gun headers and see what she does for the low-end.Just have to fab out an adapter for this.

I mainly ride off-road with a few road here and there.So I have spent more time with the bike set-up.I belive in setting up the bike to it's best capabilties with the stock components and going from there.

Forks and shock have been reworked to suit my riding style up here in the NW area.

Other than that the bike is stock engine wise.heck it's not even broke in yet.... ?

Keep all the good info coming guys as we 400 riders don't have a big following.

Chris

How do you guys like the BST 40 Mikuni? I bought a used one to try on my '98 RXCe but it is short a couple parts I need to find. There is a 1/2" od tube on the top of the carb that sucks dirt into it real bad. As a street carb it may be OK but I'm a little concerned about using it in dusty conditions. If I could find another complete carb cheap I might be interested in it. I also have a Dellorto PHM38 WITH the accel pump that I was real excited about using but I cannot find the correct parts to connect the air box/carb cylinder. Even my dealer can't seem to help. And finally, I tried an FCR 39 on it and could never get the pump shot short enough to get it to run well. Just recently I stumbled across some data on the web that details an aftermarket part you can buy to upgrade the FCR to fix this condition. Buy the time you purchase that part and the carb, you would have nearly $600.00 in the complete setup.

It's too bad somebody like Thumper Racing doesn't offer a kit that would take the motor to about 450cc and have a good bolt on carb for it. I talked with them about this and they said there are not nearly enough LC4's out there to justify developing a kit for it. I bought mine new in '98 and it has about 6K pretty aggressive miles on it including a half dozen Hare Scrambles. It's not as light or powerful as the DRZ400 Suzuki's, but if my past experience with it is any indication, i think it will run forever.

Ride safe guys.

-TF

Have to sign up allsow, -96 400 sc. Just buoght it a cupel of mounth ago. got stock dellorto carb. but middle silenser is replased whit straight pipe, and airbox open att top. runs ok ? but last time I was rideing i lost 3rd gear! You can use it in near idle rpms but a little trottle and it ratles in gearbox ? ....

Talking of a biggbore kit, I`ll been wondering if the 400 and 620 have the same height of cylinder and piston to pin height, cos if you put a 620s 101mm bore cylinder on a -96 and older 400 (56,2 stoke) it becomes a 450,3 cc, and on a -97 and newer 400 (64mm stoke)it becomes a 512,8 cc. ans if you but a -96 and older(95 mm bore) 400 cylinder on a -97 and newer 400 it becoms a 453,2cc

Could be something whorth considering ?

You mayby think I`m cracy but I ride mostly on a mx track and some woods rideing. Considering a 620sx rearsilenser...

So long

• 2 weeks later...

Cristos, Sounds like our bikes are very similar. I have just purchased a 97 RXC 400 this weekend. WP suspension. Super Trap with 10-15 fins. Dunlop 756 (i think). Moose hand guards. I plan on trail riding in Southern ohio for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my '98 400SC for a little over two years now, I love the bike but will probably go to a newer 400/450 E/XC sometime next year (gotta get that E-button!). I've got the stock DelOrto carb, Big Gun Quiet series exhaust (94 db), 14/50 sprockets, and the best mod you can put on a KTM, the Guts Racing seat foam and cover. ?

The bike runs great, virtually nothing more than routine maintenance for two + years of regular woods riding, with a few two day desert trips thrown in for a change of pace. ?

Re: There is a 1/2" od tube on the top of the carb that sucks dirt into it real bad. As a street carb it may be OK but I'm a little concerned about using it in dusty conditions.

The 1/2in vent on the side (the 90degree metal elbow) can be fixed with a short hose & line filter. It will save the wear & tear on the slide. Good luck with it. I have one on my 640 and it is not a prob for me, but others curse it. The downside is you may get the occasional bog when really flying thru whoops or hard landings, but a steady throttle hand helps there.

Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a LC4 400 and was wondering if you could help me out -

I recently moved to Malaysia from Washington state. I do all my comuting on a scooter here - they are great, Kuala Lumpur - Malaysias capitol - has expensive tolls for cars, parking is hard to find and expensive, and traffic is horrible; but bikes are free and splitting lanes is perfectly legal.

Malaysia has almost no new dual purpose bikes and old ones are hard to find. My findings so far are; a '97 LC4 400 with electric start, a Kawasaki KLR 250 and KLX 250 and a Yamaha Serow.

I've never owned a dual purpose before - as a kid I used to race motocross with the local boys and later rode a GS 1100 street bike.

In my short test ride I liked the KTM by far the best - but what do you guys think about it for my situation: I will be riding it 70% of the time to work which means going 20 miles a day at 40 mph between traffic while the rest of traffic goes 5 mph. Probably 15% of the time I will be doing long road rides of 200 miles on open freeways, and 15% of the time off road - in jungly, woods type settings. I'm 5'11 and 180 lbs - oh, and the weather is ALWAYS hot here - do they have a problem with overheating?

What do you think about the reliability of them for daily driving? How bout those other choices - (they are new to me); wife says 2 bikes are not an option ?

Thanks guys

Sorry, one more quesiton - I need a few items for this LC4 400 - anyone know where I can get them?

a side stand

passenger footpegs

a more comfortable seat for passenger (for the occasiaonal ride with the wife)

also - speedometer isn't working cuz last owner swapped wheels for 17" motard wheels - it works when I put the offroad wheels on but thats backwards for me - I want the speedo for the road not the dirt - any easy solutions?