Sign in to follow this  

Another Valve Question because of TT

After reading the valve troubles from a FEW here(which cause alarm for many), I am now wondering about the "oil Groove", Since my bike has little or no hours on it, & I don't want to spend 900+ on new parts, I'm wondering if I couldn't take the head to a machine shop and have them add the Oil groove that was mentioned in other posts? Are there any cons to doing this? I don't claim to be an expert at all on the 4-strokes, but more oil to the side that seems to go bad the most, seems very logical.. so what's the best way to get that done? Or is it worth the trouble on stock valves?

The oil groove issue (is it missing or not) was addressed in another thread. The down side to adding an oil groove was that the oil pressure in the rest of the motor "may" be affected. This could be a bad thing.

I think if it was a problem the Rand D departments would have caught it by now but since they didn't it was most likely designed that way. If you bring it to a shop that doesn't know what they're doing they could screw up your head which will cost lots of money to replace.

Poppy kosh

There is no reason you can't use a dremmel tool and cut a small groove in it yourself. It doesn't have to be in perfect alignment. Its just for oil flow.

Seal everything off with tape and plastic and have a vacum cleaner going as you do it. Stuff something down the oil holes. Take a small file or sharp knife and bevel the edge and put it back together.

You will sleep better and it will help.

This ain't the space shuttle you know 😢

There is no reason you can't use a dremmel tool and cut a small groove in it yourself. This ain't the space shuttle you know 😢

😢 :cry: 😢 :cry: this is exactly why we have people with valve problems. This isn't the space shuttle but when we're talking about valve clearances to the tenth of a mm, we're getting awfully close to space shuttle quality. Why doesn't suzuki use a dremel to manufacture all their bikes from now on? surely it would be cheaper cuz they could get rid of all their cnc machines and lathes that are just taking up useless space.

Why can't anyone replay here without plain simple answers, wethere there positive or negative. He didn't say anything about manufacturing with a dremel tool, just cutting a groove inside a space were it DOESN't effect tolerances, the groove is inside, it doesn't effect the mating of any surfaces, although the width might cause some weakness & it's a mystery why the factory didn't add one if it's so needed. it seems that ouf of every 20 replies I read only about 3-5 of them have any useful info, the rest are just random yakking.

It's hard to answer that question without asking one of the engine designers. The valve springs are pushing the cams up, so the cam should be placing most of the force on the cam cap surface, not the base where the oil groove is being cut by some people. The timing chain is pulling down on the left side and thus lifting the right side, still putting force on the cam cap. So maybe less surface area on the bottom side, (after cutting a groove) would be ok since the cam is pushing on the top surface. Then again, maybe enough oil gets in thru the original hole, perhaps the cam lifts up a bit during operation and lets plenty of oil in.

Why it is on one cam and not the other, I dunno. Some claim its a mistake purely based on the fact that the other side has it. I thought the problems with this were due to people over tightening the cam cap, or not using a torque wrench at all and not getting the torque on all the bolts even. Since a lot of these bikes have been purchased by first time 4-stroke riders that don't know much about valve adjusting, since they didn't need to before, I have heard a lot of lame maintenance practices. Not to fault the 2-stroke people, they have felt the power of the dark side, but when you are unfamiliar with something, you may make mistakes before you learn about them. I wouldn't be too quick to jump on this topic, it's a rare occurance that doesn't have enough evidence to say its the oil groove. Do it if you want, but I don't think anyone can answer for sure if it should be there. Thats probably why there was no straight answer given.