Sign in to follow this  

TB Heavy Duty Clutch Kit Dilema

I bought the Trail Bikes heavy duty clutch kit for my son's 2003 XR70. It came with a new primary drive gear that has 17 teeth, which is one less than the stock primary gear which has 18. With the new primary gear, there is ALOT of freeplay between the primary drive gear and driven gear (almost zero with the stock gear) - somebody told me that's called excessive gear lash. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Any problems?

Well, I found out the answer, for anyone who cares...

The Honda 50 and 70 are NEARLY identical. HondaTrailBikes called me (they provided a very quick and friendly response by the way) and it seems that the primary drive gears on the two bikes are different. They said that they were going to try to hook me up with a primary "driven" gear off of a 50.

I'll keep this updated in case anyone else is wondering.....

Well, I found out the answer, for anyone who cares...

The Honda 50 and 70 are NEARLY identical. HondaTrailBikes called me (they provided a very quick and friendly response by the way) and it seems that the primary drive gears on the two bikes are different. They said that they were going to try to hook me up with a primary "driven" gear off of a 50.

I'll keep this updated in case anyone else is wondering.....

So your bike will be geared down then? Seems you would want to go the other way if anything.

Yeah, I won't have much of a choice about the "pre-transmission" gearing, I'll have to take care of it on the other side of the transmission with some different sprockets....IF I can get the heavy duty clutch to even work, that is.

Talked to Mike at HondaTrailBikes. He's getting me a primary driven gear from a 50 and says it will work on the 70. I'll keep the progress posted.

Mike from Honda Trail Bikes sent me a primary driven gear from an XR50 (free of charge, by the way! :cry:). It installed perfectly on my XR70 and completely eliminated the gear lash problem caused by using the heavy duty clutch kit designed for the 50. I just finished putting it on and taking a quick night-ride around the neighborhood - it works great! I didn't notice a significant gear down resulting from the smaller drive/larger driven combo, but I ran time trials before the mod and I'll run them again soon and post the results.