Sign in to follow this  

How to fix a COLD natured CRF-80

What do you guys think? Bike runs great once it's warmed up, but it takes forever? It stumbles if you twist the throttle even a little quickly.. sounds lean to me? Does anyone know if the needle is adjustable so I can go richer? or should I go richer on the pilot maybe?

It's hard to say without being there, but everything is adjustable. It should take a minute or two to warm up. It also take a few seconds for the oil to get to the head, so never rev it just after it starts. What's the outside temp?

Outside temp has been in the 70's average, I figured there was a common thing everyone was doing, like a bigger pilot, I know jetting is specific to weather, location, etc, but I thought there might be something that was being done alot on them.. IT seems Lean to me, but maybe it's just cold natured. I usually have to leave the choke on for 3-4 minutes, and longer when it's cooler outside, it's a new bike, & I know xr's are cold natured in general, at least in my experience.

?? spark plug will make a difference? whats the number on it, and I'll pick one up, it could use a new plug after break in anyway.

Sorry, I dont have the number handy. I got mine at denniskirk, over the phone, and it seemed like a pretty easy cross reference for them.

That plug, in a brand new cold hearted 2002 XR100, changed it from starts where you had to fiddle with the choke and throttle some until it warmed up, to a no choke single kick starter at all but the coldest temps. It still needs to warm up, but no more fiddling and stalls. Night and day difference!

Robert :cry:

I have an 03 xr80,My sons and yes it takes forever to warm up.I guess it's the nature of this beast.

Try dropping the needle clip 1 position and adjusting the fuel screw.